𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐: 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

CHAPTER 12.

Quietly, water dripped due to the moisture of the bars, intertwining with the small puddle. It was translucent and small. But enough to feed the thirst of the rats. Rusted shackles, coated with copper-stained blood, hung from the stone walls of most cells. 

A pile of hay rested on the floor of Axel's cell. Her weapons were stripped from her, including the sword of legend, Excalibur. Axel was in cold sleep, a part of her fair head stained with crimson. It was visible and gut-wrenching. 

Queen Vortigern stood on the opposite side of Axel's cell. Her face was unreadable and neutral. It was impossible to predict her thoughts and actions. She watched Axel's rapid eye movement as she slept sound fully. Vortigern continued to strategically incorporate a plan on how to handle her.

Whether cooperation was an option or she would use force. Vortigern's guard stood by the Queen's side, his hand ghosting over the handle of his sword. The reality was, that no one would cooperate knowing soon it would be their demise.

Vortigern and Axel were different from each other, total opposites by ambition, like opposite sides of a coin. Vortigern's fingers brushed against the metal key she held. Debating whether she was ready to interview the traitor or not.

She unlocked the cell and confidently walked through. Her guard was mindful not to walk ahead of her, but his hand itched for a moment that Axel would go feral on them. Vortigern held her hand up and stopped her guard in his tracks from proceeding into the cell. She passed him the key, forcefully.

"I've got this. Stay clear." the Queen confidently said. Vortigern had a twisted smile and was convinced things would go as planned. But what she didn't anticipate was: Axel was faking a convincing slumber. The Queen carried a wooden stool and placed it roughly against the corner of the cell.

Her guard stared blankly at the Queen as he closed the door. He obeyed her orders and stood nearby Axel's cell. Vortigern fidgeted with a coffer, as the bitter feeling started to bubble within her gut. Hairs on her head began to ich in an impatient rhythm.

Childishly she tossed the coffer at Axel. Axel tossed herself the opposite way, with decent reflexes.

"Ahh, there's my girl. I knew you were awake." A twisted smile curled from Vortigern's lips.

Axel groaned, she felt brand new bruises on her legs start to ache. She started to examine the cell, like scenes of a crime. Her eyes avoided the Queen and searched for something she could use as a weapon later on, whether it was breaking something, to stashing it up her sleeve.

Cuffs and chains dug into the flesh of her wrists. While Axel sat in a sprawled and awkward position.

"Do you know why you are here?" the Queen interrogated her as if she was a child.

"No, your majesty," Axel replied in a groggy voice.

"What a shame then. I sent you and your little friend to kill the Prophet who-"

"You sent me after people who were entirely innocent. Who possessed the ability to see the future. And you-" Axel interjected, but soon was silenced by Vortigern's voice that boomed down on the room.

"SILENCE!" Vortigern raised her voice. The power in her voice made Axel freeze at that moment.

"How rude of you to interrupt someone who wears the crown. You remind me of my brother so much..." venom drenched Vortigern's voice. Her blood seethed in fury all because Axel interrupted her. Vortigern sharply inhaled and collected herself. Her red face turned into a pastel pink.