𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐞 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER 13.

Earsplitting screams were made from the mob of folks, who gathered at the square of Londinium. Protesting against the organized execution of Axel Embers Pendragon. A line of guards mounted on horses blocked citizens from passing through and reaching the Palace.

The rows of homes and buildings on each side began to feel suffocating. Citizens were pressed up against each other, screaming at the guards to call off the execution. The guards stood quiet, expressionless, and emotionless. One hand on the reins, the other hovering over their swords.

Within the castle a large line of guards entered the dungeon, swords were drawn as if they were sent to slay a beast. Cautious and slow movements, one guard fished through a ring of keys.

Two guards followed behind, Axel's head hung lowly, and her focus swallowed the stone floor below her. Dry copper decorated her skin, and fresh lashes on her back. Her posture remained stiff, while the guards fought the rusted shackles to unlock. The feeling of drowning in despair began to feel like a nightmare to her. Both her body and her mind remained ill. Her pride was stripped from her with a dagger by the hands of someone she knelt to. Axel's hair was overwhelmingly short, chunks on the sides were absent.

Axel was forcefully ripped off from the ground beneath her. Axel's body ached, the smallest gust of wind kissed her back, creating a dull pain.

Axel hissed in pain, the guards shackled her wrists once again, but this time behind her back. The chain trailed from her wrists and down to her ankles.

Her tear-swollen eyes locked on the brunette-haired guard. The same guard that was fooled by Axel's deception at Seabass bay. His hair was combed back and greasy. She gave him a look that would haunt him. The guard pretended to ignore her.

"Maxwell! I'm assigning you with our prisoner. Keep her in line. Any funny business and I'm sending you on the next ship out. Are we clear?" the guard questioned. It seemed like the guard's voice was as rough as sandpaper.

A raven-haired boy pushed his way through the small group of guards. He had a kind and gentle expression on his face, the total opposite of the rest of the guards. He looked around sixteen.
The Commander held out the chain to the young boy. He looked familiar to Axel, she couldn't determine where she saw him from.

Maxwell gave a simple nod and took the chain from the Commander, "Yes, sir." he answered. The second the commander and his group spun around to leave the cell. He leaned close to her ear and whispered, "I'm sorry."

His kind words didn't do much to ease her fear.

Her legs shook like jello beneath her. Maxwell his left hand gripped the chain, firmly. The other propped underneath her upper arms. He kept her balanced and followed the guards. Shadows danced on the walls with the smallest amount of light from their torches.

 Axel's chest tightened, while her stomach spun into a tight knot. Her bones felt fragile and weak, but she continued to walk at a decent pace. She followed the guards through endless doorways and hallways. The dungeon was like a maze, impossible to map out for the people imprisoned there.

Axel pieced together the series of events, from Vortigern sending her off to doing her knight's jobs, to being held accountable for fulfilling the prophecy. She reviewed all the events in her mind, searching for where she went wrong.