Chapter 26: We don't talk anymore

Start from the beginning

"Yes sir, have a safe flight."

I hugged my mother goodbye promising her I'd have dinner with them when I get back. I got in the car and went to the airport. The flight in itself wasn't tiring but my brain was exhausting me, thinking of a million things per minute. I was so lost in my thoughts that I only realized I had landed when the flight attendant came and told me my car was outside and my suitcase was in it already.

The driver took me straight to the hotel booked by Williams and I wasn't surprised to see how luxurious it was. It was even a bit extreme, but most rich people loved it that way. I was guided to the front desk and once they knew I was Mr. Williams's guest they called the person in charge.

Katrina Johnson. She came in rushing, her hair flying in soft curls. She was dressed in a professional skirt suit and had a tablet in hand.

"Richard, you called?" She asked the man in front of me, still not noticing me.

"Yes, Miss Johnson, one of your guests has arrived." He pointed to me.

Katrina turned to face me with a smile that quickly faded when she saw me. She had red lipstick on, it was the first time I saw that color on her, and boy it suited her. She bit her lower lip slightly before taking a deep breath and putting on a fake smile.

"Mr. Walton, welcome to the Blue Hills. I hope you had a good flight?"

"Thank you, Miss Johnson. My flight was good thank you. What room did you put me in?"

"Presidential suite, room 601." Richard gave her the keys and she handed them to me.

"Thank you." I took the key card from her and glanced at her for one more brief moment before turning around and walking toward the elevator with the bell boy following me.

The first thing I did was order room service, I was starving. I took a shower while I waited and once done, I ate my delicious steak and watched a show on TV to kill time. I must have dozed off at some point because I was woken by the phone. It was the reception, informing me the car would be here in twenty minutes.

Without wasting time, I put on my navy blue tuxedo and combed my hair that was sticking all over the place. I took my phone and the room key before heading to the hotel's bar. I still had a good ten minutes before it was time to leave, so I ordered a drink after informing reception where I was.

I had barely finished my drink when someone from reception came over and informed me that my car was there. I took my phone and slipped it into my inside pocket before walking out of the bar. I was surprised to see a woman pressed against the wall by a man. Something about the couple made me stop and glance at them a second time, only to realize it was Kat.

With a frown, I quickly walked outside as jealousy was consuming me and riling me up. Had I stayed another second I would have killed the guy. I slipped into the car shutting my eyes close tightly trying to remove the image from my mind but couldn't.

Was that the reason she grew distant all of a sudden? She met someone and just disregarded me putting me aside? I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that my sweet Kat would do that to me.

I got out of the car and went inside being greeted by Nathalie Williams. I tried making conversation and smiling but wasn't really in the mood. Soon enough I left her side and went to greet James Williams and his partners. They were all welcoming and praising our work. Some of them even wanted to make projects proposal but James brushed them off saying he'll give them my contact.

"It's a party and I don't want anyone talking about business."

He said before taking me to another group of gentlemen he wanted me to meet. It was a very private party with barely a hundred guests. It was happening in Michigan due to the inauguration of his new branch here.

I was standing idly next to him with a drink in hand when I saw Katrina Johnson walk inside in a sparkly navy blue dress that wasn't leaving much to the imagination. It made my blood boil even more with jealousy. I did my best to avoid her and even danced with Natalie for a while before making my unnoticed exit and going to the hotel.

This evening was more than I could handle. I went to my room took my jacket and vest off, throwing them on a nearby chair. I loosened my tie and sat down with my phone in hand. I tried calling Serena but she kept sending me to voicemail. I tried Jason and he answered but couldn't stay long on the line.

I rolled up my sleeves and turned the TV on, knowing I'd fall asleep to it but it was better than thinking about Katrina.

I had just snoozed off when I heard a soft knock on my door. I rubbed my eyes and opened the door revealing an anxious Katrina.

I raised an eyebrow at her and crossed my arms. "Yes?"

"Mason, please I need your help!"

I let out a sarcastic chuckle "So now we're back to Mason? Where has all the professionalism gone to?"

"Mason please, I'm sorry I need your help!"

"Bullshit Katrina! You've been avoiding me like the plague and now you're asking for my help? I didn't know you were that selfish!"

I saw a single tear run down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. She seemed distressed and I hated seeing her like that. That single tear killed me slowly as it journeyed on her cheek. I let out a deep sigh knowing I'd regret my decision. I moved away so she could come inside.

"Come inside and tell me what you need."

She walked inside and turned to look at me. "I don't know what to do! I wasn't supposed to stay here... I was supposed to attend the party and leave right away but..." She stopped shaking her head.

"What happened? Why didn't you leave?"

"I went to say goodbye to Mr. Williams and he said he'll see me at the hotel. I didn't know he wanted me to stay! My flight is in barely ten minutes."

"Is that why you're crying? Kat just book a room and stay the night. Forget about your flight."

"You don't understand... The hotel is fully booked."

"Then book a room in another hotel."

"I can't! There are no hotels nearby, they are too far from here. If he asks for me and I take too long to go to him he'll know I made a mistake somewhere. He'll know I didn't book myself a room here."

I looked at her and all I could see was her pressed against the wall by that man. I pinched the bridge of my nose "And how can I help you exactly?"

"You're Mason Walton! You could call reception and ask for a room, they'll listen to you. Even if it's a service room, I don't mind."

I took the phone and called reception. I talked to them for about ten minutes and they kept saying the same thing. 'We are fully booked sir, but we can send you to another hotel.'

"Why don't you just come clean and tell Mr. Williams?"

"His last assistant was fired because she thought she wasn't needed at some event. It's the same thing, he'll fire me!"

"Is it so bad if he does? I mean you're very talented you can find something else."

"I don't want something else, I want to keep my job."

"Fine... I'll go, you take my room, Kat."

"No, I couldn't let you do that! He'll know!"

I let out a groan "Do you have another solution? I don't see any other option here Kat."

She looked around for a second "We could share your room?"