PART II // 24 HOURS BEFORE TSUNAMI

ex·o·dus

/ˈeksədəs/

noun

noun: exodus; plural noun: exoduses

a mass departure of people, especially emigrants.

  Sadie Copolla's POV [7 months forward: SPRING BREAK]

  I rubbed my ultra-tired and hungover sage green eyes as I rose from a small pile of half-dressed passed out bodies. Yesterday just so happened to be 4/20 and not only was it 4/20 it was also the first day of Spring Break. The only holiday that we actually consider in a meaningful manner. I turn to one of the bodies that lay next to where I just woke from. I place my hand on her ginger head and shake her till she lets out a giant groggily groan.

  "Wake up Andrea!" I complain yell quietly.

  "I'm up, I'm up!" she lets out flickering her eyes open. "What the hell happened last night,"

  "I'm not entirely sure." I admit.

  The two of us shake and rise from the disaster zone. Tip-toeing over bodies, broken bottles, thongs, shirts, shoes, weed, popcorn, paint, and all of other forms of mysterious unknown substances we escape. On the front porch is an oversized puddle of what looks like piss. A boy with a beard is slung over the steps snoring. Toilet paper hangs from trees and a ten thousand dollar leather couch sits in the front lawn along with a pluffora of lifeless looking bodies and bottles of liquor.

  The sun burns my skull as I fight the light, covering my eyes, while trying not to trip and keeping my best friend from tumbling down. We tackle the maze and make it to the street. Tripping at last, Andrea falls onto the black asphalt scraping her arm. She groans and curses the street. "Fuck you! Fuck you!" She pushes herself up and dusts off her now bleeding forearm. She then grabs back on to me. We walk up the street until we get to a stop sign. Andrea slides down into the grass, sitting crisscross like a first grader.

  I dig through my pockets until I feel the hard metal of my cell phone. I slide it out and click its home button. I slide the lock and pin my four number pin. I'm able to forget my name, but I will never forget the numbers 2291.

  Clicking on my contacts I select my older brother, Matt. I hold the phone up to my ear, it cools my head down a few degrees. It rings. Rings. Rings. Picks up.

  "Sade?"

  "Matt! I know it's been so long, but look I'm kind of in a bad situation and I was wondering if you could come and pick Andrea and I up."

  A pause of silence. A female's voice calls his name in the background.

  "Where are you?" he asks concerned.

  "Corner of Wahou and Coral,"

  "I'll be there in ten minutes, don't move."

  The call ends.

  Andrea looks up at Sadie. "Can I get aids?" she asks pointing at her cut.

  Sadie shrugs. "Probably not."

  "Is he coming to get us?"

  "In ten minutes."