Prank War [13]

“Well, I should go to class,” Cameron said as we walked out of the nurse’s office, “Are you sure you’re ok?”

    “Yeah, yeah,” I told him impatiently. Class. Great. I had to pull my grades up to a stupid ‘B’.

    Which meant I actually had to do homework and pay attention.

    Ugh.

    “Wait, Ariane,” the principal, Mrs. Moore called out, hurry out of the office to catch up with me. Uh oh. It was never a good sign when the principal knew your name, “I need you to come with me.”

    “Did you get into trouble again?” Cameron asked, eyebrow raised. I shrugged.

     “I have no idea what I do,” I answered, “Did that make sense?”

    “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble,” Mrs. Moore told me as I followed her into her office.

    “Then what?” I was curious. I thought the only reason the principal wanted to see you was because you were in trouble.

    Obviously, I was wrong.

    “Someone was convinced that you weren’t in the proper classes, and requested for you take a test.”

    That ‘someone’ would definitely not be my mom. She gave up hope of me getting good grades a long time ago. Then who could it be?

    “Who exactly is this ‘someone’?” I asked Mrs. Moore as she grabbed some papers. Then we walked out of the office and down the hallway.

    “That’s not important. The important thing is that if you get a good score on this test, you’ll be able to move up to a more advanced class. Maybe even the most advanced classes we offer,” I could tell she didn’t believe her last sentence. There was no way I could get into the highest classes. I wasn’t as smart as Caden.

    Caden.

    Of course. Either it was Caden who requested I take this test, or a ghost named Bob. I think Caden’s the more likely choice.

    But you never know.

    Well, when I fail this test, it’ll prove to him that I’m not as smart as he thought I was. But why did he care anyways?

    The word, ‘Rejection’ played in my head over and over again. I suddenly felt a little sick.

     “We normally don’t allow students to take this test, since the final exams are so near,” Mrs. Moore was saying, as we walked down the hallway, probably to another room so I could take my test in private, “But he was so convinced you would ace it that we decided to give you a chance.”

    Ah ha. And that just proved the ‘someone’ was Caden. He had always been the administrators’ favorite, and could get whatever he wanted.

    But why would he care how I do?

    Part of me started getting my hopes up. Maybe he did care.

    But then the other part of me was convinced he didn’t care, and maybe that it was just a mistake. Maybe it wasn’t even him who wanted me to take this test.

    Maybe it was prank.

    “If I do get into a more advanced class, would it affect my current grades?” I asked carefully. I was pretty sure it wouldn’t, and that I would be stuck with my ‘F’s forever. Not that I was complaining, but Mackenzie had said that if I wanted to go to the city on Saturday, I had to have at least an average grade of ‘B’.