Chapter Three-All Visions are Different

It's only second period, and I already feel burned out for the day. The teacher keeps droning on and on about cells and DNA, and some kids are looking out the window, staring at the browning leaves. Yeah, it's fall alright. Halloween is drawing closer, and so is Costume Day. I mean, I already have a costume, it's hiding in the attic. It's only a little unfinished. 

Costume Day is where people assemble or create their own original costumes or wear what they're going to wear on Halloween and, at the end of the day, whoever has the best original costume gets a prize. It's total competition and everyone here always tries harder on the costumes than they do in their classes. I mean, I'm down for competition, it's just that people work harder on these kinds of things instead of classes. Of course, Bethany and I are two of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of students who's going to participate in this competition. 

The bell rings in the middle of the lecture, and I start packing for the next period, Algebra. I start walking towards room B208, the second floor in the second hall in the eighth room. Each of three floors has eight halls. Yep, it's a big school for a big town, it might as be called a city without skyscrapers. I finally make it to the classroom, wondering how I pushed through the crowds just to make it on time. It's Friday, so there's a lot of noisy whispering among the other classmates. The teacher, Mrs. Bowart, walks in and seems to be waiting for something, but the bell already rang, and the lesson needs to start. The intercom buzzes and I feel a wave of dazed confusion.

"May all ninth-grade classes report to the cafetorium for testing. All ninth-grade classes report to the cafetorium for testing," the woman on the intercom says in her usual monotone voice. 

Testing? Oh... The hearing and vision tests. I know my senses are fine, it's just that I hate the tests and I feel like something is going to go wrong and they'll prescribe me with a hearing aid or glasses. I mean, I could just tell them, but I'm not really the kind of person, let alone student, who confronts anyone about mistakes or concerns. 

We all line up and the teacher silences us before allowing us to walk to the cafeteria. With each step, I feel like I'm either going to throw up coffee and acid or die right where I stand. Either way, that would save me from getting a test. I'd prefer the dying right now. 

I get a glance at a familiar student in a green hoodie, and I refrain from my jaw from dropping. The boy from yesterday. From the arcade. I mean, I should've known he would go to my school, this is the only high school in town, but I guess I forgot that the educating world existed for a minute. I turn my head back ahead of me and follow the class to the cafeteria. I locate Bethany and sit down next to her with her boyfriend on her right side and me on her left. Her attention is on her boyfriend, Gerald, so I just stay quiet and wait. 

"Oh, hey, (Y/N). When did you get here?" she asks, finally turning her head to me. 

"Just a few minutes," I answer. "Hey, Gerald. How's your brother?"

"He's doing fine, thanks for asking," Gerald replies, managing to smile. His older brother has been in the hospital for a week now, and his surgery is coming up. Despite their hurtful banter, Gerald still loves him and genuinely hopes for him to get better. "How's your day?"

I don't talk for a second, thinking about how Bethany would react if I told him about the dream. Bethany probably wouldn't care, or she would start questioning me about what the thing chasing me in the dream looked like. I don't know how me and Gerald didn't stop talking to her after she developed this "obsession" about this horror thing going around the website. She thinks it's real. She does. She believes in the supernatural and the impossible, like the commonly-known Slenderman and Jeff the Killer. 

A woman starts calling classes in alphabetical order, starting with Mr. Abbot's class. The students in the class walk to the room they set up and line up in a random order, but it seems to me that students in the back of the line have a sort of terrified expression on their faces. After about fifteen minutes, the class is finished, and they're reported back to their classroom. 

"Mrs. Bowart's class, please line up," the woman says, and the class stands up. I follow them and go to the back of the line, but I'm pushed to the middle.

One by one, each student in line enters the room, gets the tests, and goes out with a paper or empty-handed. I feel anxiety as I spot the student before the student in front of me with a bandage on his shoulder. A needle. They just had to add that. Perhaps it's just for the students who didn't get this year's flu vaccine. I got it with Bethany, luckily, and was registered as her adoptive sister. I guess that's how the doctor shrugged off how I don't look anything like Bethany or her family and my scars. 

It's my turn, so I walk in with a brave face, and, before I know it, I'm finished with the tests. That wasn't so bad now, was it, (Y/N)?

**********************

Word Count: 935