Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Jimson

Janice was talking in front of me but I couldn't hear her anymore when I received the text.

Winonah

Nakauwi na ako. May emergency sa bahay. Nagmamadali na ako kaya nakalimutan kong mag-text.

I was excited to meet her. We haven't talked properly this week due to the conflict of our schedules. When Fierro texted, I was really glad. But I shoved it all away. It's an emergency.

When I lifted my gaze, Janice was watching something. She was nervous. She was agitated. At first, I was confused, but when I followed her gaze, I was shocked to see Fierro's back walking away from the premise.

My forehead creased. Sabi niya ay nakauwi na siya. I read the message once again and I wasn't wrong. I looked at Fierro... then I looked at Janice.

I studied the look on her face. May kutob na ako. But my hunch just became clearer when she was surprised that I was watching her as if I caught something.

"Yes?" Janice asked; her voice was shaking.

Hindi ako sumagot. I remained looking at her.

She laughed nervously. "That's your friend, 'di ba? I... I saw her walking away. Gusto mo ba na tawagin natin?"

Something was wrong, but I couldn't quite tell what it is. Whatever Janice did, I hope she's not crossing any lines.

Hindi ako bobo. I could feel her tension. Janice laughed awkwardly before she looked away.

"I appreciate everything you did," I said. "The business agreement is getting good. I can see that based on my mother's mood. Hindi na niya ako pinag-iinitan masyado."

The confusion was written all over her face.

"I just want to set the boundaries again. You and I are friends, Janice. Only friends."

She sadly chuckled. "Why... Why are you saying this to me? And what are you talking about?"

I did not respond because I felt my patience getting thinner.

"You sounded mad. May ginawa ba ako?"

"May ginawa ka ba?" I asked back.

She chuckled nervously. "I don't know what you're saying, Jimson."

I sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just... I have a feeling that you are lying to me."

"I am not lying to you." She chuckled again; her voice was shaking. "Hindi ko alam kung ano ang pinagsasasabi mo."

"Yeah, sorry. I don't know what I am saying also. Kulang lang yata ako sa tulog." I took a step forward. "But I'm sure that we'll end this friendship, Janice."

Kumunot ang noo niya at pumilit ng tawa. "Hindi kita maintindihan. We were just fine earlier. Tapos... Tapos bigla ka na lang nagalit. I don't understand you."

"I said that I want to end this friendship."

"But why?" She was angry. "Is it because of your friend?"

My forehead creased. "You sound so defensive right now, Janice."

She scoffed. "Why would you stop being friends with me because of her? Gusto mo siya, 'di ba?"

I did not answer.

"We can still be friends even if you like her! Wala naman 'yung problema sa 'kin, Jimson."

I sighed. "Janice-"

"You are so unfair," putol niya.

My duty will start any minute right now. I didn't want to hurt her anymore. So I just stood there as I listened to her rants.