12

At 2 am, I was woken up by Adam. He said he had to poop.

I said, "Okay, Adam. Go to the bathroom." Adam got up and went to the bathroom. Three minutes later, he came back and said, "Jake, I didn't make it."

I said, "It's okay, Adam. Just come back to bed and change when I get up."

Adam said, "Okay, Jake," and got in bed. Then he said, "Jake, um, can I wear the Goodnite in the daytime? Because I could fall asleep and pee on the couch or carpet and stain it."

I said, "Adam, you don't need to make an excuse to wear it. If you want to wear it, you can. And if you want to pee or poop in the Goodnite on purpose, you can. But when you wear your underwear, you're not allowed to pee or poo yourself on purpose. If it's an accident, you won't be punished. And I know I can tell when you're lying to me."

Adam said, "Yes, Jake, I know you can tell. And thanks for letting me wear it in the daytime."

I said, "No problem, Adam," and he fell asleep. A few minutes later, I fell asleep too.

At 7 in the morning, I went to Andrew's room, woke him up, picked him up out of the crib, and changed him. I said, "Andrew, get dressed. I'm going to give you back your bed."

Andrew said, "Thanks, Jake. I was a little jealous of you because you were Dad's favorite."

I said, "Andrew, I was never Dad's favorite. You were. He let you get away with stuff that I never would get away with. Like when I was 8 and I went on vacation over the summer, remember that?"

Andrew said, "Yes, I remember."

I said, "I wasn't on vacation. I was sent to the x3 military school for doing something that you got away with dozens of times before and after. And when you messed up, Dad would come rescue you. But if I did, he would tell me it's my mess and I had to fix it. When you were 13 and I was 11, it was summertime when you did something and I heard Dad talking to Mom. Dad said he was sick of rescuing you and wasn't going to anymore. So I came and rescued you. And ever since then, I've been protecting you from your mistakes. Just a few months ago, Dad was going to send you to the x3 military school, but I kept you from going because I didn't want you to go through what I did."