Chapter 24: Deaf Ears

"I can't leave dad this way." I explained to mom. "Send me back. You brought me into the world once. Do it again."

"Junior, it is not as easy as giving birth."

"Giving birth is easy?"

"No, it was actually so hard that it killed me." My mom joked.

Now I see how they made it together.

"Mom. I need to get back. My friend is in danger, and it's my fault."

"I know Junior. I have been watching you this whole time. I still cannot bring you back to this world. That is up to your dad now." Mom explained. "He is with your physical body. Think of this more like a bonding experience for us."

"You have been watching me?"

"Yes. Your dad has always been keeping me up to date on things."

"Is this some supernatural stuff?"

My mother looked at me in the most disgusted way humanly possible. I know for a fact that dad was the receiver of this look on many occasions. This is the, "I cannot believe you asked such as stupid question" face.

"I need to get back." I tried to explain. "Ky is in trouble."

"And what is your game plan when you get back. What are you going to do from this moment forward that is going to benefit someone in a good way?" My mom asked. "Junior, I have been watching you for 17 years. I gave you life and a will to live. I watched you and my husband bump heads and argue constantly. I watched you both cry behind closed doors. You have both cursed my name on many occasions, and you both asked why I gave my life for yours."

I mean I knew my father felt that way, but the confirmation hit me like a truck. I knew dad would rather have mom alive over me.

"Right now your father is wishing he could trade places with you." Mom said.

"That's because he would get to be with you again."

"Tyreek Crews Junior, your father does not know you are with me. Your father wants to trade his life with yours without knowing his outcome." Mom lectured. I am not going to lie, this woman is scary.

"You are so worried about a guy, who is slowly ruining your life that you are not even looking at the big picture." Mom continued.

"He didn't ruin my life."

"You were shot." My mom said with a sigh. "I recognize a losing battle when I see one. It's like talking to deaf ears. You have the gift of hearing, yet you won't stop and listen."

Dad was right. She does have multiple personalities. Still everything she says is logical.

For the first time in my life I opened up to people. I hung out with Ky and the reality is, he has no idea what my feelings are. Not only did I not voice them but I had no way of communicating them to him.

The same goes for my dad. I never tried to communicate how I felt. I just kept everything bottled up.

I only ever opened up to these three random girls. They talk a lot. They keep asking questions. They even listened to all of my problems, and they have been helping me attempt to communicate with Ky and my dad. Looks like the Powerpuff Girls really can save the day.

"I want to talk to the girls." I mumbled.

My mom let out a little smile. "I like those three. You made some good friends."

"Do you like Ky?"

"Not even a little bit."

My mother's honesty made me laugh. She seems very blunt.

"Come on. Let's walk this death bridge and see where we end up." My mom said as she started walking on the path to nowhere.

I quickly followed her. As we walked my mother told me stories, but not of how she met dad. She told me stories of how dad felt as I grew up.

How sad he was with my mother's final goodbye. How happy he was when he stopped vomiting from changing my diapers. How mad he would get at the other parents when their kids would bully me. How annoyed he was when I would disappear during his boxing matches. How proud he was when I picked up weightlifting. How he is still learning to be a dad.

She spoke about emotions I had never seen.

My mom walked me to the end of this path. "Well Junior, this is where I stop."

"Any advice you want to give me." I said with a laugh.

"Yes. You are not allowed to box at the tournament tomorrow. Don't even try it. But I need you to send your father with Ky. He is going to throw a fit, but if you want to save your friend that is the only way." Mom said.

I gave my mom one final hug goodbye before continuing on this Bridge of Death path.