Chapter 11: No Ones Fault

When I arrived home I wanted nothing more than to go to sleep. Instead, when I opened the door I found myself face to face with the school's boxing coach.

"Tyreek Junior. Can I call you T.J.?" The coach asked. What kind of shit is this?

Behind the coach stood my father. He had an expression that I have never seen before. An expression that I did not think he knew how to make. He was angry. He had the same look on his face that I usually have when he loses himself in a story. Angry and annoyed.

"You can call me Tyreek." I answered as I walked past him.

"That is a beautiful piano. May I?" the coach asked.

That question caused me to freeze in my tracks. I can see that my coach is here uninvited, he is clearly unwanted, and the question was unprompted. That wasn't just an ordinary question, that was a question about mom's room.

For some reason my dad is frozen. I watched as the coach entered mom's room. Committing the most scared of sins.

"Elaine, as beautiful as ever." I heard the coach say. "Her death was tragic. Wouldn't you two say?"

I looked at my dad who was doing everything in his power to suppress his anger. This is where we are different.

"We aren't on school grounds bitch. Are you looking for a fight?" I yelled as I entered mom's room. My dad ended up grabbing and pulling me out of the room.

"Not in front of your mother." Dad said.

You're joking.

I pulled away from my father. This guy walks into your home, openly disrespects you in mom's scared room, and you chose to yell at me. Make that make sense.

"Reynold, I believe you overstayed your welcome." My dad said as he motioned for my coach to leave.

How is your name T-Rex? Break his skull like a real T-Rex. Break his bones with your fist and stand over his limp body. Let out your mighty roar as you stomp him to death.

My thoughts were ruined as my dad let my coach out. I missed the entire exchange with what was probably my darkest fantasy.

Before I could say anything my dad locked himself in my mom's room. I do have a lot of questions for him, but I know now is not the time. He is hurting and I know it is my fault. Coach is only here because he wants me on his team, and he is using dad to force me on it.

I went to our gym and started punching the punching bag. After boxing with Ky and cheer practice I still had energy left. Seeing my coach just filled me with anger. Anger gives energy.

I have so many questions for my dad.

I never thought I would say that, but this is kind of his fault too. I didn't want to follow in his footsteps. I want my own name. I want him to be happy too. I am tired of this fake happiness we pretend to have.

Shit.

I got lost in all of the scenarios in my mind and punched through the punching bag. The hole in the bag was nothing more than a representation for what I am truly feeling right now.

"We lose a lot of good punching bags that way." Dad said as he walked into the gym. He immediately walked into the boxing ring. "What are you doing here Ty?"

"I wanted to hit something." I answered honestly.

My dad laughed at me. "I know the feeling."

"Why didn't you hit Coach? You used to get paid to beat guys like that up."

"That's illegal Ty. The only time you can legally beat someone up is if it's for sport." Dad explained.

That makes sense. I think I am going to take everyone's advice.

"Hey dad. Why boxing?" I asked.

"Do you really want the answer? It's a story about your mother." Dad joked.

I nodded.

Mom always wanted dad to protect the weak because he was a giant. Still fear only goes so far. So, dad had to beat the bullies at their own game. He learned to box because that was just the team they were on.

After beating everyone in the school, as a freshman he went to win districts, then states, then nationals. He continued to fight, so everyone would get the point. There would be no bullies as long as he went to that school.

He was scouted for professionals. It turned out that Coach Reynold's rejected him. Coach didn't like the message my dad was trying to spread. Anti bullies and protect the next generation.

My dad skipped college to train and to study public speaking. He was picked up the following year after spreading mom's message in the armature leagues. When my dad went pro the first thing he did was beat Reynold's pro.

Just because dad retired doesn't mean his message did.

"You did all that for mom?"

"She picked a lot of battles I had to fight." Dad laughed. "Mom did it for you. She always wanted you and she wanted you to live in a safe environment. She would be proud of you for just trying Ty."

I am no one to be proud of. I am an asshole who still can't control their emotions.

"But to answer your question, boxing is one of the few sports where you can hit someone and not go to jail." Dad laughed out loud. "Fight your bullies the legal way."