Chapter 7: Date Night

"You really out did yourself dad!" I yelled as I walked into the house.

I found my dad in mom's room probably writing another letter. My mom's room is a literal shrine. The room colors are white and gold and decorated with pictures of my mother. In the center of the room was a grand piano with a custom made urn in the center. If you haven't guessed it yet, that urn contained my mother.

My father was sitting at the piano. "Ty, what is my one rule?" Dad asked harshly.

"What is my one rule?" I argued. "I don't do boxing."

"Then don't box."

"Why did you sign me up for the boxing team?"

"I didn't sign you up for the boxing team."

"You need parental approval, dad."

"Well, you are interrupting date night."

One thing I never understood was my father's weird obsession with my mother. The room he made for her, the constant stories, and the daily letters were one thing. What creeped me out the most was the date night. He would sit in this room for hours talking to himself and singing.

"Have you lost your mind?" I screamed.

"What could be more important than your mother?"

"Me. My feelings. My boxing team's dilemma." I whined.

"Just quit the team."

"I wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for you. Why didn't you just tell them no?"

My dad took a deep breath in as he stood up from the piano. He then escorted me out of the room, and locked the door.

"It's been seventeen years, dad. You need to move on. Get laid." I said.

"No, you need to get laid."

How is he a parent?

I sat down on the outside of the door and leaned my head against it. I used to do this a lot when I was little. I would get in trouble at school, or just overwhelmed my dad and he would lock himself in there. Sometimes he would wait for me to fall asleep before going in this room, but as I got older he would just lock himself in the room more. He would write letters and play that piano off key.

I don't even know why we have a piano. No one can play the damn thing.

I guess every rich person has one. We also have an indoor gym, with a boxing ring in the center of it. On top of a home theater. You know, rich people's necessities.

I walked over to the gym and decided to go over to one of my dad's punching bags. Without gloves I hit one as hard as I could. The pain from the impact reminded me of my childhood. Depressing mother's day and skipped birthdays. Replaying my father's accomplishments and how my existence put his life on pause.

I hit the bag until my knuckles bled.

Why do you love her more than me?

****************

Dear Elaine,

Who I am continues to have a negative effect on our boy. I never imagined how many people would try to get to know him to get to me.

When I learned that Ty broke the school's punching bag, I wanted to replace it so Ty would stay out of trouble. That's when I ran into the current school's boxing coach, Reynold.

Seeing that old man brought up so many memories. To think he would retire from professional coaching and teach the basics at a high school. He begged me to let him be Ty's private coach. I tried telling him that Ty doesn't box, but he told me that Ty would be expelled for fighting with his star boxer.

I know I angered Ty, but we can't move again. I thought coming back to our hometown would be good for Ty, but I fear it will put more stress on him.

Reynold would try to turn him into a prodigy.

And there is nothing I can do. Ty has to learn how to pay for his actions. I won't save him this time.