Chapter 23: Bridge of Death

What is worse than the sound of silence? The sound of multiple unknowns.

As I laid on the cold floor all I heard was the unknown. Multiple questions by multiple voices I did not recognize. "What happened?" "Was he shot?" "Is he going to make it?" "Who shot him?"

"What happened?" The last thing I remember was I was in a fist fight. I thought we were fighting on even grounds. I had a slight disadvantage on a possible one vs five match. Still the worst case was a few broken ribs.

"Was he shot?" Was I shot? My shirt feels wet in two major questions. The slight burning sensation is all I could truly focus on. Though I feel myself slipping out on concussions the pain is strong enough to keep my eyes open. All I see is black but I know my eyes are open. As long as I feel this pain I know I am alive.

"Is he going to make it?" I better make it. I thought the worst thing in life was loneliness, the feeling of being unwanted. For the first time in my life I wasn't alone and I was shot.

"Who shot him?" James shot me. For his safety I better die or he better be in jail. Because if I live through this and he is not protected behind bars I am going to kill him.

"Ky shot him!" James screamed.

Are you serious?

"I watched Ky shoot him!" James screamed. Of course I could recognize his voice.

I didn't have the strength to move. I didn't have the strength to speak. Ky is about to be framed for this and he can't even speak for himself. I know I should be mad at him, but no one deserves this.

"Can you hear me son? You are going to be okay. You're okay."

Dad?

"Hang in there Ty. I got you."

Dad, if you can hear me, punch James in the mouth.

I wish I could see what was happening around me. I wish that my dad could hear me. I want to tell him I am fine. I want everyone to know that I will be fine. I am not going to die. Not like this. Not until I beat James's ass.

The chaotic sound around me turned to silence. Slowly but surely I began to regain my vision. My temporary blindness turned into a solid white room.

"This is the typical scene in the movies where the main character is about to die isn't it?" I asked aloud. It felt good hearing my own voice.

I surveyed my body and saw that my shirt was stained with blood. Even though my wounds were open, blood was no longer flowing out of my body.

"I guess you can call it that."

My attention was pulled by an unknown voice. I looked over to see the woman who has been hanging on the walls all my life. Dad was right, the photos didn't do her justice. She had this natural glow about her. Her frame was small, and she was so tiny. Yet she looked at me like she ran the show. This was her world and she was in charge.

"Mom?"

"I was honestly hoping I never had to hear these words." She said as tears ran down her face.

"Am I dead?" I asked.

'You are definitely your father's child. Facing a potentially deadly situation and doesn't bat an eye." She joked as she looked over my body. "Oh Junior, what happened?"

I didn't flinch to her touch. Her presence felt warm and for the first time in a long time I felt truly safe. The pain I felt slowly drifted away, as she wrapped her arms around me. Though the size difference was painfully obvious I was holding the 23 year old version of my mom.

My dad would be so jealous.

"Don't say I am like dad. That's insulting."

"You are rather calm, Junior."

"Why shouldn't I be?"

"You are standing on the Bridge of Death."

I should have put the pieces together. My world drastically went from chaos to peace. Some will say this is the calm before the storm. Mom called it the Bridge of Death.