17. Jaiden

Imogen- Please for the love of God, be careful.
Me- I will be, don't worry.

I sigh and lock my phone before gazing out the window "I know this isn't your usual scene," Damien, Rick's right-hand man, a better version of Rick says. "You've already loopholed, you don't need to come with us."

"I know but it's too late now," I gesture to the window, we're already in New York. "Plus I want to be the person that puts him on his knees and makes him beg for his life," I say my hand fisting.

"Damn, I didn't know you had that kind of bone in your body."

"I'm not going to pull the trigger, just threaten him," I roll my eyes. "I'm not a killer."

Damien hums "you really love her don't you?"

"Fucking yeah I do," I nod.

"Is that why you're leaving after this? You made a deal with Rick didn't you?"

"You know how Rick is," I sigh glancing at him and he nods. "I have to do a couple of nights at the Jaw," I say.

"Fuck kid," Damien shakes his head.

"It's just two, I know how to handle my ass."

"Rick is going to make you go up against the biggest and best guys kid, be careful."

"It's fine, Jaw is probably easier than the club," I shrug. That's a bullshit lie and we both know it, Jaw is Rick's underground fight thing, it's not far from the club actually but I've only worked a few bar shifts there. Sebastian thinks I'm going to get my ass kicked so he's booking me to Rhett's trainer.

"So have you heard about Chicago?" He asks changing the topic as he switches lanes.

"I have," I nod and shift in my seat. "I have the job once I've graduated."

Damien slaps his hand on my chest and I almost let out a wheeze "Congratulations kid," he chuckles and I shove his hand off me and rub my chest.

"Do you wish you got out when you could?" I ask him.

"Every goddamn day, so it's good you got out good. I'm proud of you," he says and I nod. "And what about your girl?" He asks, I glance at his left hand looking at his wedding ring.

"I haven't told her I got the job, I have convinced her to talk about moving but I'm not sure it'll all play out," I shrug.

"Well, I don't doubt you two will figure it out," He glances at me and I nod.

I don't have doubts we'll figure it out, I know Imogen is hesitant about leaving Pennsylvania but Chicago could be a good change for Imogen as well but new change could send Imogen into a spiral and if she honestly wants to stay here and even consider long distance I'm sure as hell okay with that but even then long-distance is hard as fuck and sooner or later it leads to a breakup or one person moving with the other, so it would be back to square one.

I shake my head as Damien parallel parks on the curb in some alleyway, I can't think about that now. We park and Damien turns to me "ready?" He asks, I scoff and throw on my sunglasses.

"Born ready," I grumble and pop open the door. We gather around the rest of the team as Rick gives orders.

"We all have our endpoints, let Jaiden handle Ares," Rick says looking at me, he's the guy that threatened Imogen on Christmas and the guy that hired the one to hit her car a couple of weeks ago. "Don't fuck it up Brown," Rick narrows his eyes at me as Damien hands me a gun.

I clock it and check the chamber, seeing it full "I won't, just make sure I don't kill anyone no matter how much I want to," I tell the men around me, and everyone nods.