27 - fuck me eyes

A week

A week.

A whole week.

Hayden hasn't made it up to me yet.

I'm on the verge of bursting into tears, or just exploding.

As everyone got back into the groove of things again, we've been trying to see each other when it was convenient for us both without drawing too much attention to us both, but it's been nearly impossible.

Avrey's been wanting to do something every day this week, keeping out until I was about ready to pass out. And Hayden, keeping true to some of his words, did sneak back into my room on some nights. We kissed, I may have gotten a little handsy. But it never went any further than that.

And now? Brooks dragged me along with him to this stupid end of the season party. They lost one of their state finals, which wasn't too bad. They won two, which was better than they expected, according to Brooks. And with his spot secured in college football, I don't think it mattered to him if he placed well or not.

He was super grateful to have the opportunity, anyway.

"Nana," Brooks says beside me. "If you could have one thing—anything—in the world, what would it be?"

I snort, looking up at him. "Why such a random, deep question?"

"Just popped in my head."

I bring my cup to my lips, downing the rest of my drink. The alcohol burned my throat, making my eyes water a bit. But I blinked and sighed.

"I'm not really sure. Off the top of my head? Randomly?" I chuckle. "A really nice place to live on my own."

Brooks looks at me, his brown eyes searching mine. I can see his eyes brimming red, the alcohol starting to get to him. He crosses his arms, tilting his head.

"You wanna leave me on my own, baby sister?"

I scoff. "Never, big brother. But who's leaving who in a couple months?"

Brooks playful smile falls. "That's not fair."

"What you said isn't fair." I argue. "Why does it even matter? It was a random question, remember."

"Yeah, but that makes me think you don't like being around me or some shit."

Oh, Brooks. I've never wished for a more perfect moment to scream at the top of my lungs what happened to me—what still happens to me. All I wanted to do was reassure him that he's the only person I trust being around in that house, and when he's gone, where's that sense of security then?

I've been trying to keep this anxiety of Brooks leaving under control, but now, it's spiking up at the worst possible time. Because I have thought about Brooks leaving. I know for a fact that Brooks being around has saved my ass more times than I care to admit. And he, unknowingly, has been my knight in shining armor.