15 - i believe you

*A/N: this chapter contains content that may be triggering to some readers

*A/N: this chapter contains content that may be triggering to some readers. Please read at your own risk!!*

I wasn't sure why I felt the need to stop on the way to Brooks' game for coffee.

Actually, I wasn't even sure what I wanted.

I was passing by a small, quaint, underrated coffee shop on the edge of town. Not many people go here, mostly because they don't really know about it. And having a name that just reads Best Coffee is kinda sus.

Ironically, they do have some of the best coffee I've ever had. And their strawberry cheese danish is to die for. I occasionally stop by in my free time, get a coffee and danish to go.

But today, I wasn't even craving anything. I got a caramel macchiato just cause. I literally pulled over and came in, standing there like a dummy because I didn't even know what I wanted.

Fate, God, whatever controls the universe has a funny way of working things.

I was just saying goodnight to Claire, the wife of the owner, and barely caught sight of Lina in the dark alley. Something was wrong, I could sense it immediately.

But I never expected to see Lina so...like this. Her blonde hair was matted up, her face was stained black from her makeup running down her cheeks. When I saw her outfit that was so obviously tore up, I knew immediately. I knew what was wrong. What I prayed the whole time she was passed out not to be true.

But it makes sense—why she freaked out when I touched her, trying to get as far away from me as she could. Hell, she was barefoot. And it actually hurt me to see her feet, dirty and bloody. She ran from wherever she was all the way to the alley of that coffee shop.

I felt my blood boil. I tried to calm down while she was passed out, but it was no use. I was fucking fuming.

I was glad my mom was held up in a conference call when I got home. So she didn't have to see Lina like this. I didn't want anyone to see Lina this way.

She stirred slightly, eyes blinking open. I was on my feet beside her, just watching. Her eyes widened as she saw the dark. In hindsight, probably should've had the lights on and not just the lamp. But when she saw me, she visibly relaxed.

"How long have I been here?"

"Couple hours."

Lina looks down, probably wondering if I had done anything while she was asleep. Which, I didn't. All I did was grab an extra blanket and cover her with it.

She tried to sit up, but I saw her wince as she did so. "Listen, I should pr—"

"Who."

It wasn't a question. I knew what happened. But I want to know what dumb bastard had the nerve to touch her like this.