6 - go figure

LINA

Hayden didn't say a word—which was weird. He was abnormally quiet.

By now, he should've made some kind of remark about me, or disappointing Brooks, or something. So when he didn't, it was really weird.

And when I even instigated him to say something, he didn't. I mentioned for him to park a safe distance away from Avrey's house so that no one would see he dropped me off, he just nodded.

And that bothered me. Why was he being so...off?

Because all week long, he basically ignored me. Even when I shamelessly flirted with Collin right in front of him just to get a rise out of him, he kept his attention on his phone. He wasn't engaging in any type of anything with me.

Well, two can play at that game, Hayden.

"So, how about we finally go on that date tonight?" Collin pulls my attention.

"Tonight?" I tilt my head, sighing. "Hm, I'm not sure."

"Come on, babe," he urges. "I know you feel what I feel. Let's finally go out and see where it takes us."

A soft snort. I know that came from Hayden.

"And what's in it for me?"

"You're looking at it." He grins.

Believe me, or don't. But Zuckerman isn't who you want to be spending your time with.

I hear those words ringing so loud in my head, like sirens. Any louder, it'd manifest itself and slap me in the face.

And yet, I still say, "sure. Why the hell not?"

And when Avrey heard that Collin Zuckerman wanted to take me on a date, she was so ecstatic. She had come over to do my hair, my makeup, everything.

"If you do end up, you know," Av grins as she outlines my lips. "You gotta tell me how it is. I've heard some things."

"Avrey," I gasp and smack her leg. "You know I don't kiss and tell."

"You're such a party pooper sometimes." She smiles. "There. All done. Now put on that sexy outfit and show him what he's been missing."

I roll my eyes, but still get up with a smile. I walk to my bed and see the cute dress Avrey picked out, but I still hear Hayden's words in my head.

Zuckerman isn't who you want to be spending your time with.

I shake my head, ridding Hayden's deep voice from my thoughts. I grab the dress and move to the closet. I slip into it, but pair it with a pair of black tights. The dress is black, so it gives me a more edgy look. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable not exposing myself around Collin tonight.

I also grab a hoodie I stole from Brooks and slip it on over my shoulders, since it's chilly, and put on a pair of black ankle boots.

"You look hot. Tights makes the outfit look so much better." Avrey smiles at me from her phone.

"Thanks," I force a smile.

I felt uneasiness. I felt like this was a bad idea. And then I realize that fucking Hayden has wormed his way into my head again.

I roll my eyes and look at Avrey. "You're gonna hang out here while I'm gone?"

She nods. "Yeah, I don't mind. Take my car, I'll just hang out with Brooks when he gets home." When I give her a raised brow, she laughs aloud. "I've proven myself loyal a million times, have I not?"