Insecure Love (SS)

Start from the beginning

She slowly stands up, taking a few deep breaths. She's so confused - what should she do?

She's startled when somebody enters the room.

"I'm back" Severus announces, sounding tired and irritated.

Y/N makes sure her eyes are no longer red and there are no tears on her cheeks before facing him.

"I cleaned up while you were gone. I hope everything went well" she says, trying not to show how she really feels.

Sighing, Severus wraps his arms around her before resting his head on her shoulder.

She can't help but stiffen. Would he hug her if he truly didn't like her? Or perhaps he would want comfort from anyone?

"Thank you, love. Would you mind joining me in bed? I'm just really tired" he almost whispers.

Y/N slowly nods as she helps him over to the bed. She helps him undress before covering them both with the duvet.

He kisses her cheek. "Good night, darling. I love you" he mutters before closing his eyes.

"I love you too" she whispers, wiping away her tears that threaten to fall.

Does he truly love her?
_____________________

Ever since finding the picture, Y/N has kept her distance from Severus. She's sure it won't be long before he ends their relationship, so why even waste time and energy on seeing him?

It's been almost a week. She has felt so depressed ever since finding out that he loves Lily Potter. Which is why she has kept her distance - she's not sure how long she can hide her emotions from him.

If he really loves Lily Potter, then why are they still together?

What if she's just being silly?

She sighs before taking a sip of her firewhiskey. Alcohol has helped her a bit. Or perhaps it has just made it worse.

She honestly can't tell, all she knows is that she's confused.

Does Severus love her or not?

Her thoughts are interrupted as there's a knock on her door.

"Just one second" she mutters, sighing before putting down her glass.

She stands up from her couch and walks over to the door. As she opens it, she's met by Severus.

"Hello, Y/N. May I come in?" he asks.

Sighing to herself, Y/N nods before stepping aside so he can enter. He immediately does so and spots the firewhiskey.

"Drinking, are we?" he questions as he raises an eyebrow.

As she doesn't answer, he sighs before gently grabbing her hands.

"I have noticed your behaviour has changed lately... Why are you keeping your distance from me, Y/N?" he asks, hurt evident in his eyes.

Y/N sighs as well. "When I cleaned up in your private chambers, I found a picture... of Lily Potter" she admits.

Severus widens his eyes. "Where did you find it?" he asks, confused.

"Under your bed" she tells him, waiting for him to yell at her, to tell her how little he means to her.

He does neither. Instead, he chuckles.

"I see, I wondered where I put it" he says.

That confuses Y/N. "What? You forgot where you put it?" she questions.

He nods. "Yes, I did. I haven't looked at it in a long time. That doesn't mean I have forgotten her, of course" he states.

That makes Y/N's heart sink. He never forgot her. He probably still loves her.

Severus gently grabs her chin to make her look at him.

"I can tell that something is bothering you, Y/N. What is it?" he asks, pleading with her.

She gulps. "Lily Potter... You love her, don't you?" she asks, tears in her eyes.

After a few seconds, Severus laughs.

Y/N closes her eyes. Great, he does love Lily. He has never loved Y/N. Now he's going to tell her that he never wishes to see her again-

"Is that why you have been ignoring me? Because you thought I loved Lily Potter more than you?" he questions, looking a bit amused.

That confuses Y/N. "Does that mean you don't? Does that mean you... love me?" she asks, biting her lip. She's really nervous to hear his answer.

Severus looks at her in disbelief. "Of course I love you, Y/N. I have ever since meeting you. How could you think otherwise? I love you so much, Y/N. Why do you think I invite you to my private chambers? Why do you think I'm affectionate with you? I would never let anyone touch me. Except for you" he says before kissing her.

Y/N kisses back, sighing in relief. She however can't help but feel silly and a bit guilty. All this time she questioned his love for her when he clearly does indeed love her.

"I'm sorry, Sev. I'm so sorry for questioning you" she apologises, her tears once again leaving her eyes.

He shushes her while wiping away her tears with his thumb.

"You have nothing to apologise for, love. I should have told you about Lily and I a long time ago. I did love her once, but not anymore. Ever since meeting you, I almost forgot her. Just almost - you never forget a dear friend. She was my best friend, possibly my only friend. Believe me when I say I love you with all my heart, and I always will. Always" he assures her as he kisses her once more.

Y/N kisses back as she wraps her arms around him, feeling so happy.

Severus does indeed love her - and she loves him as well.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "Shooting Star Pt. 4" (SS x Muggle from our world! reader) will be published on 4/11/2022!