16 - LOST

"We're going back to nationals! Isn't that awesome?!" Kataoka couldn't believe that he was a starter and he was going to get to play at nationals. Yusei rolled his eyes as the team walked to the bus.

"Alright, everybody already knows the rules, correct?" Kanai confirmed, and they nodded as Yusei yawned. "Demon king?"

"Yeah, all good." he replied, his hands going behind his head. The coach rolled his eyes before allowing everyone onto the bus.

They had played aobajohsai again the week before, and it had been a lot of fun. In the end, Anaguma managed to take the most sets with Aobajohsai only two behind.

They had stayed the weekend at Aobajohsai, and Yusei had become friends with some of the second years. Him and Oikawa, however, had a little run in.

What the hell was that demon king hiding? Oikawa asked himself as he headed to the changing rooms to grab his jacket he had left there.

Opening the door, he started to walk in but stopped at what he saw. Yusei was in there, just about to pull his shirt all the way down...

The setter's eyes widened, that was a binder..

"Ak! Sorry!" Oikawa turned away, his cheeks tinted pink as he looked down at the floor wide eyed.

Yusei groaned, his grey eyes rolling back into his head in annoyance. "Decent." he muttered as soon as he was, in fact, decent. Clearing his throat, Oikawa turned back to him, looking expectant.

Walking past him, Yusei grabbed the door handle, only for him to grab that hand. "Are you not gonna explain?"

"What's there to explain exactly?" he shot back at him.

"Ah-well, uh, a lot actually!"

"Like what?"

"Like, I don't know, your gender and pronouns!"

"I'm trans." he explained. "He/him pronouns, but you can still call me Yusei-chan though." the boy winked, making the brunette setter blush.

"O-okay.."

"Did the famous Tooru Oikawa just stutter?"

"No! You must be imagining things!" He pouted, his face flushed. Yusei snickered, then opened the door and walked out.

As soon as the door shut, Oikawa put a hand over his face. He was scared. For some reason, the fact that Yusei was a girl--er, transman, and that he was playing again him made the dude appear hotter than other girls--er, men?, even his girlfriend...

Shaking off the thought, he decided that he'd ignore his feelings because he was, in fact, happy where his life was at the moment, even if he couldn't beat Ushiwaka or Yusei.

But he could bring more to my life...

NO!

Sighing, the brunette setter left the changing rooms and headed back to the gym after grabbing his jacket.

Yusei grumbled annoyances as he remembered the encounter, and Nishioka snored on his shoulder. The rest of the ride to Tokyo was spent sleeping, the coach playing soft and pretty music in the background.

When they arrived, they split into three rooms, one for the coach, and two for the players. Three people to a room, and they only had nine players so that wasn't a problem.

"Nishi, Ozaki and Akagi in one room; Udai, Kataoka and Yakoya in one; Sadow, Sanada and Miyake in the other." Coach instructed, so they nodded and went to their respective rooms.

"I call sleeping with Yusei-kun!"

"Hey no fair!"

"Seriously?"

"Wow am I popular or what?"

"Shut up Yusei-kun."

~•~

Back on the bus.

Anaguma was not okay, including their demon king. They hadn't done anything wrong, made no unforced errors.

It was just that Itachiyama was better. Not to mention they were put against them the first round, what rotten luck.

The coach could see their spirits were down, so instead of playing soft music to help them sleep, he played some well known songs so they could jam out.

On the six hour drive back to their prefecture, only two out of the nine people on the bus actually got any sleep. And surprisingly, one of those people had been Yusei.

He was tired, but most important, he had felt the sting of defeat for the first time in one hell of a long time. The ace realized he had been slacking off on his training, content with just staying the way he was.

Yusei knew now that he actually needed to work instead of just waiting for the victory to come. Now that he was focused, it would be a whole lot harder for anyone to beat them again.

Nishioka noticed this change in attitude at the beginning of the ride, but took it for the slums of defeat and maybe him being depressed over it. He had nothing to worry about, Nishi would soon realize.

"You guys played a good game," Coach Kanai told his team as they sat around him in a crescent, "no matter what the scores said. I can tell that a lot of personal growth is coming out of this, so I'm giving you the week off." He said, then dismissed them.

Yusei and Nishi walked home in silence, neither really wanting to talk anyway. They were both too in their heads to even think about the other.

Yusei turned into his house, closing the door behind him and walking to him room. Setting his bag down, he sat on the bed. For a moment he didn't do anything, just sat in silence and pondered life.

Then, grabbing his phone and earbuds, he strapped it to his arm and got up. It's been a long time, he thought to himself as he exited his house and put the earbuds in, since I've been out running.

Yusei ran a half a mile before turning back, his body not used to long distance running as of yet.

I'll get back into it, he thought as he panted in front of his door. Once he had his breathing under control again and he was back in his room, Yusei took out his phone.

Scrolling through his contacts, he paused at one. He never thought he'd be asking for his help, never in a million years.

"Tenma, it's me. I want you to teach me how to use the block."