Glorious

**********

The next day was supposed to be glorious. Henry snuck out again to find the mysterious girl and her lost kid friends but Smee, a short, chubby man that was one of Hook's minions and his parrot had followed Henry off the ship and onto the mainland. Henry didn't want to be caught going to find the lost kids, he knew his father would disapprove even though there was supposed to be peace between the pirates and Peters lost kids. Henry did a large loop around the island and promptly went back to the ship. He heard Smee report back to his father but was no longer interested in finding out what trouble he might be in.

Henry went to his room pulling open the old chipped wooden door and slamming it closed behind him. He plopped down gently on the hard cot and pulled out his hidden bible. This was the bible his mother bought for him when he as little. She had wrote in the pages and made notes and tabs throughout. Henry had read through it at least 3 times since arriving in Neverland but each time he flipped through the pages her writing brought an ache to his heart.

"I miss you," he said down to the words, he didn't have a grave to visit, or a picture to remind him of her beauty. He just had this one thing that she cared so much about and he had to keep it a secret. His father wasn't a fan of God or the bible or anything really besides breaking the rules. He had asked his father previously how he and his mom met but all he ever got out of him was Chicago Pizza. Henry wanted to go back to Chicago, to taste the pizza he craved when he read her words, to see the church she volunteered at but that all seemed like forever ago. Years had passed and Henry was still a scared little boy that missed his mommy.

He heard the door jiggle and shards of wood splintered to the floor, he shoved the book back under his cot and sat criss cross on his bed, poking at his skull blanket mindlessly.

"Oh, hello Smee," Henry said acting bored out of his mind. Smee opened his small mouth, his fat folds giving him a double chin.

"Where were ye' this morning?" Smee always tried to be sound tough but, his high pitched voice and short but large frame always made him seem like an angry toddler. Henry looked away, biting his lip, he always tried to show respect to the small man but it was hard when he knew what a horrible human being he was. How do you lie when they know the truth? Henry thought as he draped his legs over the bed. Smee wasn't as bad as his father and would probably keep Henry's secret but... Henry thought better of it. His father was sure to be the one that sent Smee to watch him, so Smee couldn't be trusted with Henry's attempt to find new friends.

"What do you mean?" Plausible deniability Henry thought, rising up off the bed and towards the array of swords and daggers that hung off the wall. He picked a dagger up and flipped it in the air, catching it flawlessly on its jeweled handle.

"I didn't go anywhere..." Henry stood almost two head taller than Smee and it intimidated the small man. Henry was still a child, would forever be a child but the others pirates respected him to a point. They also feared him, feared that one day he would be as great as his father, as brutal as his father. "Ya' know," Smee started again inching back towards the door. Henry took a step forwards towards him, his thick, bushy eye brows raised, making him look less like a boy and more like a devious man. "I think I heard Ca-Ca-Captain, Captain Hook calling," Smee lied as he hit his foot against the door frame and shuffled back as he tried to stay standing.

"Is that so?" Henry countered. Hook wasn't calling him and Henry knew it but didn't make Smee stay. He let the small man run out his room and up the creaky stairs. Henry walked back to his bed, dagger in hand now as he sat examining the clean blade. Henry flipped the dagger a few times, thinking of the blood that his father spilled with these blades, it made a shiver run up his spine. He threw the blade against the wall, it stabbed through the door, the force of the daggers weight, closing the door with a smack.