Life he thought he wanted

The life he thought he wanted

"Hello and welcome to Dairy Queen, how may I help you?" This was demeaning. Peter Pan, the great Peter Pan, once fighting pirates, saving orphans, now was filling cups with ice cream.

"I would like a..." how much longer? Am I almost done? Can I just shove a cone out the window and hope she said she wanted a chocolate cone. "Also I want a..." so she wants lots of things great, just great... "Hello?" Oh crap, Peter thought as he tried to remember if he heard anything she said.

"Can you repeat that?"

"UGH!" she screamed through the microphone and repeated her order.
"Pull up to the next window. Your total is 12.24." It was a minute till he was done, 40 seconds, 30, 20...

"Hey Peter can you-"

"Nope I'm done, see you later Bonnie."

Jak was right, money was needed for everything. Peter was able to stay at a shelter for free, but he wasn't able to do anything. Alabama was boring Peter decided, as he picked a new place to visit. He found a map at the local library and moved his finger aimlessly hoping to land somewhere that wasn't an ocean. Hit. Ocean. Again, ocean, and again...

"Gah!" Peter yelled and was immediately hushed by the library staff and others around him. "Oh, because all of you are actually 'working'?" He questioned staring at them, their heads craned so far into their desks, it was obvious they were not studying. "And not playing on your electronic things?" Peter held a hand up to his ear like a phone and pretended to talk in the library. The others did not find his games amusing. While mimicking a phone call, Peter noticed a globe. This would be much more fun than a flat map. Peter ran over to it and was immediately told 'no running,' he didn't listen. He had to hurry up and find a new place to go before they kicked him out.

He spun the globe, closed his eyes and stopped it with his finger, New York, New York. A smile plastered on his face, bye Alabama he thought as he skipped out of the library and went to grab his bag from the shelter.

"Where are you going?" Amy, a girl that bunked next to him asked as he packed up his few belongings.

"New York, New York," Peter said proudly. He was sad to leave this place, it was like Neverland, kids of all ages, all protected. The man that ran the place kept the kids belongings safe, if they had any, when they went exploring or out to a job. Beds were assigned and marked with their occupants names, it was very organized and Peter felt at peace.

"New York," Amy said in amazement, "that it really far away." She pulled at her beat up old stuffed animal, it was a fox. "I wish I could go to New York," she said softly not realizing she had said it out loud.

"Amy," Peter said suddenly feeling the need to help kids, lost kids. "Do you want to come with me?" Her eyes lit up but she shook her head no, she didn't have any money to get to New York. "We don't need money," Peter declared with a grand smile as he pulled Amy towards him. "I have something better than money."

"But Peter, what can get us to New York that isn't money?"

"Magic." He almost always forgot that children here were not used to magic being real. He saw an advertisement on the magic box in the window of a store front that said, 'Magic is real and you too can learn how to control it'. Peter was intrigued because the only real magic he had with him was Tink's fairy dust, but if he could get magic of his own...

Peter soon found out that he needed money to pay for kits that helped people that wanted to be magicians. Helping people young and old to 'trick' their family and friends was their logo. Peter didn't want to trick anyone, he wanted real magic, like on Neverland.