Yes, Tinkerbell

*****************

"Yes, Tinkerbell I know how people get pregnant... yes... yes... Tinkerbell," Peter slurred dully as he packed up a bag. Darla and Peter were supposed to travel a bit after the wedding and Darla wanted to 'get a real job' or consider going back to school before starting a family but... "I KNOW TINKERBELL!" Peter screamed ramming his face up to hers. "We have a lifetime to travel, and besides a new Peter running around," the thought of another one of him made Peter giddy with joy and a smile he couldn't contain finally caused Tinkerbell to simmer down.

"We are going to stay in the states," Tink let out an angry stomp on Peters head. "With her parents nearby to help with the pregnancy and first few months of baby birth..." Tinkerbell shook her head in outrage. "She has less than 8 months before the baby comes and she will need her mom," Tink's eyes went wide and she hoovered yelling at him, spitting out fairy dust, Peter ignored her. "Since we will be staying here in Neverland for a long while once we have the baby..." he waited for Tink to stop storming around the tree house but she only paused momentarily, her little glow burning brighter than ever before. Was she excited? Or angry? Peter couldn't tell.

"We don't know how pregnancy works in Neverland... what if she stayed here and she ended up pregnant for 3 years?" A thunder of laughs came out of the tree and broke through the roof. "Hello Milo," Peter tried not to sound annoyed that he would have to fix his roof again when he returned. This was a good teaching moment to see if he would be a good father. "That was dangerous." Peter said, trying to sound serious as he helped Milo off the ground. Peter didn't know how to hold him though. He stood with his arms at his sides not the usual arms across his chest defiantly, and his feet were closer together instead of wide apart. Less boyish, he thought as he starred down to the young boy. Peter was taller and radiated authority but this wasn't fun. He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned down, "Shall we go swinging from some trees before I go?" The boy ran out the door, Peter followed at his heels. Darla wouldn't like it. She wouldn't want her son, or daughter swinging from trees, not right away at least.

"Oh, and Tink," Peter rushed his words and slurred his speech. "I'm going to stay with Darla in Illinois until the baby is born, I don't want her to be alone." Peter slammed the door temporarily locking Tink inside as he ran to catch up with the boy.

***********

Peter missed Neverland but Darla and her family kept him busy. 8 months was a long time for Peter to sit around and make toys out of wood for their baby and sing songs to Darla's tummy. So upon dinner with Darla's parents one night when Sam remarked about 'work'.

As they all sat in Darla's and Peters tinny tiny apartment (they never had need for much room seeing as though they were in Neverland over half the time anyway). Sam and Stacey picked at their pizza, watching their daughter and her husband smile and laugh. They were happy, they had been happy at the wedding and did give Peter their blessing but still, something was off about him.

"You know," Sam started as he sipped his beer, "I saw that the hardware store was hiring, right off of Randall Rd," Peter chewed on his pizza not getting the hint.

"Don't you already have a job, Mr. Jones?"

Stacey started coughing, she had momentarily choked on her pizza and Sam patted her back gently trying to keep the anger out of his voice.

"Yes, I do have a job Peter," he bit out. "Because that's what grownups do." Darla opened her mouth to protest but Peter put a hand on her knee, he didn't need her standing up for him, it would only make things worse. "Grownups get real jobs, have a stable income, and then they worry about marriage and children, but a job should come first and that way..." Sam was going off on a never ending one sided conversation that Darla knew Peter couldn't get out of. He was getting a lecture now and after ten minutes of blabbering Darla told her father to be nice.