Finding Darla

Finding Darla

"Wait, you are how old?" Darla asked as she walked along the curb of the street.

"Well I suppose I'm 20 in this realm."

"What do you mean this realm?"

"You wanna go somewhere with me?" Peter liked this girl, she was direct and seemed fun. But he didn't know if he liked all her questions.

"You are a complete stranger who doesn't give straight answers and you want me to go somewhere with you?"

"Yeah." Her question is so obvious, Peter thought as he positioned himself right in front of her. Why wouldn't she want to go somewhere with him?

"Where?"

"Neverland."

"Like the fairy tale?" Her voice mocked Peter.

"Yeah, Neverland." Peter looked her straight in the eyes and tried to urge her to believe him.

"Neverland," she repeated.

"Yes..." maybe Peter didn't want to show this person Neverland.

"Well I have work tomorrow..." she said with fake concern.

"If you come with me you will be in a place where dreams are born and time, time is never planned."

"Sounds like an interesting place to be when the World Series is going on."

"The world what?" Peter questioned

"How on earth would I know when to put WGN on?" She laughed as her eyes grazed over him.

"Never mind, you don't understand." Peter said giving up on the girl. "You couldn't possibly even imagine all the fun you might have outside of the world you leave behind."

He sat down on the curb and she did the same looking over at him skeptically. It had been a while since he brought anyone back to Neverland, let alone a girl, a woman. She isn't the one Peter decided and started to turn away from her.

"Ok," she finally said and stood up and straightened, as she looked to the sky. "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning right?" Peter opened his mouth to speak, she knows the story, she doesn't believe it though.

"Yes." Peter's voice stayed bitter and harsh, she was still mocking him.

"Let's go then," she said and bent over to tie her shoes laces tighter. "Should we sprinkle a little pixie dust on us and get on up there?!" She was laughing well, trying to contain her laughter but failing. Fine she wants to play it this way Peter thought as he watched her. Peter rose suddenly and grasped her hand pulling her with him. She stumbled to keep up with his pace. Then Peter stopped right in the middle of the empty street, right on the corner of Peach circle and Daisy drive.

"Okay," she spoke slowly and started to giggle again, but before she could say anything else Peter put his fingers in his lips and blew. The whistle sounded like magic to his ears as he heard Tinkerbell coming.

"You ready to go for a whirl?!"

"Oh yeah," her voice was still sarcastic and she expected Peter to give up this charade. But she would see soon enough that this fantasy was real, Peter thought as Tinkerbell grew nearer.

"Hey Tink," Peter said as her green glow appeared before him. Only now as Darla noticed the small glowing figure did her smile fade and eyes grow in wonder. "Tink this is Darla. Darla, this is Tink." Tink fluttered up to Darla's face and Darla leaned back in shock, horror, and confusion. Her face looked pale making Tink back off a bit and land gently on Peter's shoulder. "You ready Darla?" She was still speechless. "Okay Tink, let's go." Tinkerbell bounced up and down around Peter and then begrudgingly to Darla. The lost boys' pizza would have to wait.