Mr. Pan

"Can I please speak to Mr. Pan?"

"This is he." Peter had just dropped Penny off at school and was walking through the doors to their apartment. He still needed to get ready for work when the call came through.

"I'm principal Blackwell and I need to talk to you about your daughter, Penelope, is now a good time?"

"Sure," Peter said hesitantly as he slipped off his shoes and headed for the stairs.

"Penny was in a fight yesterday." Peter froze on the stairs unable to think, a fight? That's what the scratch was from.

"Who hit her?"

"No sir, you see, Penny hit two kids. I would like you to come in and we can talk about this in person."

"What do you mean she hit two kids? She is not a violent person."

"I would have called sooner but I didn't get the messages until this morning when I was informed by the parents and other children that witnessed the fight."

"She had a really bad scratch on her face, so they must have attacked her first. She wouldn't have started such a thing."

"I understand, she is your daughter and no one believes their kid is possible of doing-"

"Penelope is a great kid, always on her best behavior, she wouldn't-"

"Can you please come in, Penelope is in my office today and won't be attending class until we get this sorted out."

"I'm coming but I want to talk to the other parents too, and their delinquent children." Peter hung up angrily throwing his phone down and stomping back down the stairs.

"Penelope Jean Pan," Peter said embracing his daughter when he burst through the office doors.

"Daddy, I'm scared."
"It's all gonna be okay. But you need to tell me what happened, honestly this time."

"Mr. Pan," Blackwell held out a hand and Peters face turned bitter but he shook the mans hand.

"I need a moment alone with Penelope," Peter said ushering Penny into the empty hall. "Tell me what happened so I know how to protect you." Penny held onto his hand and twiddled her feet, her Sketchers sparkling with every twist.

"People are mean." She said her lip sticking out.

"But what happened?" Peter was never going to let this happen again, he was going to know everything about her life, no more letting things slide because she is a good, trustworthy six year old.

"They were making fun of me."

"Why honey?"
"Because I told them about mom and you..."

"What about us?" Penny remained quiet and Peter looked down to her shoes. He stood up from his squat and paced for a moment. "What did you say?" He tried to keep his voice level as he squatted back down to her level.

"I just told them that we travel a lot, and your name, people know your name," she added looking to him, "and I didn't say you-know-where and I didn't think I did anything wrong..." her voice faded away.

"And..." he urged.

"They started making fun of me, since that family project..."
"Since the project-" Peter stood back up and dropped back down placing his hands on her shoulders. "Honey that was the beginning of the year, it's almost Christmas. This has been going on this entire time?!" Peter was outraged, Penny was not the one to be reprimanded, she was the victim. "Why didn't you tell me?"