Marry me

'Marry me, today and everyday' -Train

                                                ******

"Marry me."

"What?!" Peter was down on one knee and a gorgeous ring was glowing from his hands.

"Sorry, will you, Darla Jean Jones marry me, Peter Parker Pan?" Darla stood in the middle of the Neverland forest unable to produce words.

"Um," Peter stood up and pulled Darla close.

"Is that a no?"

"No, I mean yes, I mean..." Darla kissed him "yes but, I have a few questions."

"Questions?"

"Yeah."

"Okay shoot."

"I want kids and lots of pets"

"I want kids and I'm tolerating your pets so I guess that's fine." Peter answered, holding out the ring again, but she had more questions so he put the ring back in its tiny box.

"I want to travel."

"I've been everywhere, I know all the good spots."

"I love you."

"I love you more." There was a slight pause and Peter started to pull out the ring again but Darla stopped him.

"Where would we live?"

"Here." Peter said as if it was the most obvious answer. But she looked down slightly breaking eye contact. "Or not." She looked back up but only for a moment but still she didn't look as happy as a moment ago. "We can live both here in Neverland and back in the states or over the pond or where ever you want as long as Neverland is in the equation." Darla's smile appeared once again.

"Okay ask again"

"Ask what?" Darla nudged his foot and he dropped again to one knee. "Darla will you-"

"Yes."

"You didn't let me finish! What if I was saying will you bathe the hippos."

"Gross no."

"See then let me finish." Darla nodded and her eyes rolled to the sky, he was making things difficult, she didn't expect anything else. "Darla,"

"Yeessss."

"Will you..." Peter stood up "damn this whole one knee thing hurts."

"PETER!" Darla screamed

"Fine, fine alright. Will you-"

"Yes!"

"DARLA!" Peter screamed mocking her.

"Peter, get on with it before I change my mind." He dropped down again holding the ring out. It touched the tip of her finger.

"Will you marry me?"

"Let me think about it..." Peter rolled his eyes and slipped the ring "oh yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Sounds like fun."

"Fun." Peter repeated, kissing her over and over again.

It seemed like all of Neverland had heard their proposal because within minutes there was a party covering its entirety. Streamers, cake, handmade party hats. The kids planned a party for their engagement, Darla wouldn't have had it any other way for Neverland. But back home, she thought of the few friends and all the family her parents would want to invite to celebrate their only daughter's engagement, it would be more elegant but not as cute as seeing all these happy smiling children.

**********

The party was going to be grand.

"A Chicago party, a Neverland Wedding and a Paris honeymoon?" Darla asked as they flew back to Illinois. Darla held her hand tightly afraid that the wind would blow the ring off her finger.

"Whatever you want," Peter said as he looped in the sky, smiling to a passing plane. A little girl was pointing out the window calling to her mom to look. The plane was descending so their flight could be seen by few.

"What did my dad say?" Darla slowed so she was hoovering, she looked to be sitting on a cloud.

"What do you mean?" Peter knew the average person rules for life, don't steal (which was boring), follow the rules (which was pointless), and don't do drugs or kill people (pirates are not real people, Peter thought as he flew back to join her).

"Did you ask him permission?"

"To marry you..." Peter said slowly, his eyes grew wide and his lips tightened.

"Peter," Darla started but couldn't really blame him. "He would have said no anyway." Darla said looking down to her hand. Her chipped pink nails, dirty Neverland fingers, and her gorgeous new ring... her father wouldn't approve, but she didn't care... she did care, she really did but she wanted not to care. She wanted him to love Peter like she did, but she also knew that Peter would forever be the boy that took his daughter out of school.

"I did." Peter stated pulling Darla off the cloud, her small honey eyes looked up to him squinting to see him through the sun. "I did ask him." Peter repeated. Darla's eyes questioned for more. "He..." Peter looked down at the nearing city, happy thoughts, happy thoughts Peter thought or Peter might go splat.

"I don't mind if he said no." Darla stated as she grew closer to the ground, "Of course I want him to say yes but I love you. I want you, no matter what." Peter's emerald green eyes expanded with excitement.

"He said no." He said softly kissing her upon landing. Darla closed her eyes in disappointment but knew that would be his answer. "I then asked him five more times before he finally decided that..." Darla opened her eyes a small tear threatening to fall. "He thought if I was that persistent I must really love you, which I do," Peter added. "And then he said yes." Darla stood stunned unable to move herself out of the street.

"He said yes?"

"He said yes, he gave me his blessing," Peter said pulling Darla out of on coming traffic but she still stiffly moved as she watched him, analyzing him. Was he playing a joke on her? He liked to play games but he wouldn't play such a cruel trick not on her, would he?

"Peter," her voice was soft but warned of pain.

"He gave me his blessing" Peter said again so clearly that Darla knew he was telling the truth.

"Really?" she was excited but still couldn't believe it.

"Remember I told you I would never lie to you, ever."