Chapter Forty-two

Start from the beginning

"Um, I– I'm sorry Jude. I'll... I'll just leave, I wasn't trying to disturb." I started to pull myself up but he stopped me with his arm.

"No,sit down. I didn't say you were disturbing."

"Oh."I sat back sheepishly.

Jude kept on clenching and unclenching his jaw, not saying anything. I thought it best not to interrupt his thoughts. Clearly he wanted to be alone but he didn't want to appear rude, hence the reason he stopped me from leaving.

I bit my nails nervously, looking around and trying to block the image of a haunting green eyed boy. The fact that he was still around though hiding didn't calm my nerves. He could pop out at anytime–any least chance he spots me alone.

Which means, I'd have to be very mindful of my movements these days. And make sure I always had company. If I continued to trudge around alone, I'll be making it easy for Connor to get me.

   "Did Jordy have any beef with Greenwood?"Jude asked out of the blue, making me jump slightly. The way he pronounced Connor's surname with disgust was well deserving.

  "Huh?"I blurted when he was still staring probingly at me then I remembered I hadn't answered him.

"Er–no? I mean yes. They don't see eye to eye."

He scoffed.

"Nobody sees eye to eye with that bastard except his goons. But I want to know, did he quarrel beforehand with my brother? You know, before he disappeared last week."

My palms started getting sweaty as nervous beads settled.

"N–no. I mean, I... I don't know."

  I was getting a vibe, this was all my fault and I knew it was. Wasn't protecting Jordan the main reason why I didn't tell him about my issue with Connor or anyone else thus?

But what did I end up doing.

Paving way for Connor to hurt Jordan because my stupid self didn't give much thought to report about Connor's advances to the authorities like Jordan had suggested. If I hadn't cared only about my sucky disguise, Jordan wouldn't be hurt right now.

"Greenwood's gonna regret touching my younger brother,"Jude chuckled bitterly, sending chills down my spine,"and any fucking person included in this bullsh!t."

His demeanor had me fearing low-key. What if he learns later on that it was due to my shit, things went the way they shouldn't ?

   "Jude I..."I started, my voice trembling. "I might sort of kinda know why Connor stabbed your bro–"

"Just save it."he said, standing up. "I don't wanna know anymore. I don't fucking care too, whatever his reason was. What I know, is that Greenwood better hide for the rest of his life."

Jude walked away without a single word after and I was left sitting with my fingers on my lap, trailing after his retreating form. Then I remembered.

I ran after Jude, siding with him after several long strides. He cast a weird look my way.

"What is it? Why'd you look like the cops are on your tail?"

I did a goofy smile.

"No reason. I just decided I'll be going back to the dorm."

He pursed his lips, looking back ahead.

I made sure to keep up with him though his long legs made it equally difficulty but my own legs weren't exactly short so it was fine.

We reached Gentility House in no time and Jude parted ways with me since we weren't on the same floor and then I continued to mine.

The hostel was now back to life with people filing in and out and most were standing in groups, talking about what just happened. We hadn't heard any info from the authorities but it was sure to come soon. Maybe they'd call for an emergency assembly.