Chapter Three

Sam Lewis 💫

It's been two days since I received the admission letter from Noble boys academy.

   Two stressful days of sleepless nights and also two days since Ivy walked out on me.
I know I should've apologized to her after the heat of the moment but my chicken self couldn't bring myself to do it.

   We've not talked since that day and it has only added on my bucket of frustrations. I needed someone to talk to.

My aunt of course doesn't know about the admission and I don't plan on telling her. I can just imagine the satisfied look on her face when I disclose that up till now, Oxford university has not sent me an admission letter.

  It was evening now and my aunt was hosting one of her usual parties with her colleagues at the living room.

The fact that I used colleagues should already make it obvious I wasn't invited. Ho, when did she ever include me in such.  Not like I even want to be part of it. The activities that go on in there makes me want to throw up over and over again.

With nothing to do, I weighed my possibilities of seeing Ivy this evening. I didn't like the bad energy that had erupted and figured it best to go clear the tension.
    Besides, I needed someone to talk to and someone who'd be a good listener and as it stands, she was the only one who fitted into that column properly.

  I slipped into a blue hoodie and faded pants, pushing into my flip flops afterwards. I grabbed my phone and some money from my meagre savings in the broken piggy bank.
Then I combed my fingers through my brown hair and put it in the usual messy bun with tendrils escaping.

   I could hear the wild music booming from  the living room where the adults were.

None of them even spared me a glance when I passed there. It was totally fine by me.
The only thing that made me cringe inwardly was the pile of broken glass bottles that had been scattered on the tiled floor together with the empty pizza boxes and the used plates lying recklessly on the table.

There was garbage every where as though they didn't know the use of the garbage can sitting outside. And to think I wasted a good time cleaning this place hours ago.

   I scanned the room for my aunt and quickly spotted her wasted on the sofa with one of her guy friends who had his oblong bald head on her lap.

   "Auntie I'm going out for a walk,"I informed her, glaring at the rest.

  She hummed a little and raised the beer bottle to her mouth. My cue to get lost.

I turned on my heels and took large steps out of the room, hopping over the mess they had created on the floor.

    Extra work tomorrow.

  "I hate this life,"I gritted after stepping out.

If we were to make a list of irresponsible adults, my aunt would be number 1.
I mean how do you expect your teenage niece to live a good and exemplary life if you're not setting one yourself.
Good thing I don't look up to her for everything.

   I flagged down a taxi as soon I spotted one.

    "Seventh street avenue,"I said to the driver and he nodded before pulling away.

I sat back and rested my head on the seat's headrest,then took out my phone to check for any messages. It was a quarter to eight but people were strolling about as if the day just started. Well, that's NYC for you.
    The night pubs lined at the roadside were also blasting with loud music that I wondered if those in there hadn't turned deaf already.