Chapter Forty

A/n; Happy chapter 40!🥳

Sam Lewis 💫

"For Christ's sake, your own parents didn't even want you! Your mere existence did nothing than to bring calamity.  Do you know how wealthy your father could've made us if you had been a guy?" Auntie huffed.

I was still mopping the tiles, swallowing down the words I very much wanted to spit at her.

"Ha! Your father is still alive, traveling from country to country and probably lavishing around. Does he even care that a sperm of his is causing burden to one who doesn't deserve? Obviously not! If your own father doesn't care,am I supposed to care?"

   "I'm your niece,why not."I said in the politesse of voice I could muster.

"Niece my foot!"she barked,"Did I contribute to your birth? I don't see a single good thing you've done for mankind since your existence. You're too much of a burden. Ugh! Should've thought of it earlier and starved you to death while I could."

The mop stick clattered to the ground. I raised my eyes at the middle-aged woman who was painting her nails with fury in her eyes, the woman who had never spared me a day without complaining bitterly how she wished an opportunity came for her to do away with me.

At least I worked for her... wasn't that something she could appreciate?

"Witch!"Auntie exclaimed, noticing my stare. "You're daggering at me openly, you want to what? Beat me?"

I exhaled shakily, forcing my tears back. "You could've sent me off to the children's home... but you despise me that much to wish you had starved me to death instead? Why, Auntie. Didn't you love your sister? Because if you did, you wouldn't have a problem with bringing her child up. Your only chance at raising a child."

The kitchen fell silent, Auntie stiffened.

    "What did you say?"she asked eerily calm, hopping off the stool and advancing towards me.

I gulped but didn't move an inch.

  "I can never have kids,is that what you mean?"

Duh, the doctors said that not me.

   "You rubbing it in my face isn't it?"she stopped before me, giving me the harshest of looks.
Knowing what was gonna happen next, I braced myself for it and it came. She slapped me on the right cheek, the sound resonating.

"Just fifteen years old and you already know how to speak back at me when I talk?"she chuckled bitterly, raising her head to the ceiling,"I have only my fucking self to blame coz I knew better than to promise I'd keep you. Promises are made to be broken tho."

    "Go pack up your stuffs. I'm taking you to the children's home."

All air squeezed out of my lungs. She didn't mean it...

"I'm not going."I stated more than said.

"Are you daring me?"she took out her phone, probably dialing the number. "Hello,is this Marie's children's home?"

"Naw,"I cried silently, shaking my head,"naw,naw."

"Don't touch me!" Auntie flung my hand on her shoulder away, giving me a nasty glare. "You'd be better off over there huh?"

"Naw Auntie, please."I begged, flopping on my knees.

_______________

I shot my eyes open, sweating profusely as I scanned my surroundings. Realizing I wasn't in some room crammed with hard looking fifteen year olds giving me judgemental looks, I felt myself relax.