Chapter 54

A gasp left me when a pair of hands steadied me. It was Luciano, I could tell from the hardness of his body. His heart was beating fast against my head, and he held me tight.

"I'm here." He muttered and pulled me into his arms, slowly carrying me to the barely there moonlight through the kitchen window.

I was still breathing heavily when he stopped at the couch and sat down with me on top of him. It was pitch black. Normally the outdoor lights would be shining through the windows but even they weren't there.

Thank god for his lighter. He pulled it from his pocket and picked something up from the table, the packet crinkling as he dug through it.

After a few clicks, I realised he was lighting up a tea candle. My arms remained around his neck as I watched him light a few up and place them on the table, their faint, warm glow enough for me to make out his face.

Luciano leaned back on the couch and I couldn't help but bury my face deeper in the crook of his neck. I suddenly wanted to cling onto him forever, to imbed myself into his heart and refuse to leave. I held him tighter against me and felt his palm move over my back.

"You're scared of the dark?"

"Not really. I'm scared of ghosts." I admitted, feeling his heart against my forehead. Inhaling, I took a whiff of his scent. Light, smokey, and almost sweet. It was when I felt so drowned in him, an ache carved itself into my chest. I'd never have him.

No matter how much we argued or seemed to hate each other, I'd never have him. He'd belong to the thrill of other women, not me. Maybe it was why I didn't let myself open up to him. Because I knew that if I did, I'd only be fooling myself.

And still I held onto him. Refused to let go. I didn't understand why, but all I knew was that I needed him.

Probably guessing how I felt, Luciano suddenly pulled me back. His eyes were trying to search through mine in the dark. "Why are you shaking?"

My breaths skimmed his lips, in a few moments of silence. "Just....just hold me." I let my head drop on his shoulder again and he gave in, wrapping his arms around me.

Maybe it wouldn't be bad pretending this was mine. That he was mine. I knew more than anyone that it was easier to pretend. I was a master at it, putting up a facade to hide how weak I was inside.

I guess Luciano was the only one who didn't put up with it. Saw past my bullshit, which everyone else believed. Even I had started to believe it.

Luciano's hands lingered around my waist, and then one of them started to move up and down. I wasn't aware of when he put his hand in the side of my trousers until something cold brushed my skin.

Confused, I pulled away and saw him frowning at something black and shiny, and that was when it sank in - my knife.

Taken aback, my mouth opened. Until now I didn't wonder how he'd react to me carrying a knife on me everywhere. For now he seemed fine, examining the blade his hand. "Why do you have my knife?"

A mocking scoff left me. "That's mine."

"No, it's mine?" He replied, to which I grew even more puzzled.