Chapter 5

~Nina POV~

Dinner was amazing, there were steaks, trays of antipasti, seafood such as salmon and clams: my favourite seafood and endless Italian specials.

The maid Darcy and Chef Constantino did an amazing job, and I only knew their names after sneaking into the kitchen while Mama bragged about how obedient her youngest son was. She was such a hypocrite.

She should take a look at her other two sons, one is in a cemetery and the other in the bathroom probably snorting coke. I still had to whip his ass for that.

It was time for dessert and we all went to the back of the house to take a look at the lake. This was a waterfront mansion and definitely something out of Great Gatsby.

The sheet of dark blue twinkled with hundreds of stars above us. Distant, and barely there. What stood out to me the most right now was the moon...almost full, with craters I only wondered how big they were, and shining a light that reflected against the lake.

The sounds of the water was heaven. Along with the crickets, I almost wanted to sleep out here all night.

"AHAHAHAAH." Mama's laugh grew louder, and holding back my irritation I decided to show my little brother the stars. He was only six and was obsessed with space.

Holding his little hand I pointed at the sky. Warm garden lights created a comforting glow, and with how peaceful this atmosphere was, I truly believed that us and the Capone's wouldn't make such a bad family. 

Taking in the fresh smell of grass, I heard approaching me and glanced over my shoulder, not prepared to see Elmo towering over me.

So I straightened. I didn't even notice the frown on my brothers face until I looked at him. Raul looked like he was suffering with constipation. "Sister stealer."

"Raul." I gasped with surprise, he was turning more into a mini Carlos as the days went on. Thankfully Elmo wasn't bothered by his comment and his lips tipped up. I held Raul's shoulders. "Go tell Mama you're hungry."

"But-"

"Go." I repeated, and when he was gone, me and Elmo stood side by side. The night time breeze was blowing a few strands of hair loose from my updo, refreshing and chilly. I loved this place. "This house is amazing, where will we be staying once...."

His eyes met mine almost with amusement. "Vegas, where else?"

Vegas. Obviously. That's the city they ran and it's the one I'd be staying in. I knew that, it just didn't settle into my mind yet that I had to move away from my family.

A part of me tried to think they'd be fine without me, but then I looked at Carlos who sat on the ground throwing rocks at the water and my heart grew heavy. He was my biggest worry.

I was the one who helped him when times got rough, and he helped me. I couldn't imagine not being there for him when he's in an anger fit trying literally to kill the maids. And we've all grown to know Mama only makes it worse with her voice.

"What, you look disappointed."

"I'm not." I am.

I gulped half of the champagne and swirled the rest in my glass trying to pace myself. Although I had so many questions about this marriage, I knew I shouldn't ask them. It would only lead to me getting wounded.

I knew he'd have mistresses, he'd never let me see my family and he'd never love me. The thought didn't sting as much as I wanted it to though, and I knew why - because I felt nothing for Elmo, and he felt nothing for me.

It somehow made this easier. Knowing he'd cheat would burn a lot more if I felt something for him. At least this way nobody gets hurt.

———