Chapter 18: "My Name Is Screwtongue And This Is My Destiny!"

Screwtongue watched the Legionnaire. He didn't look weak or incapable, but he did get grievously wounded so, he might not be as tough as he looked.

Screwtongue found this possibility very agreeable to him. The legionnaire just closed his eyes again. Now he was getting very sleepy.

Screwtongue tried to breathe as slowly and quietly as possible, which was difficult because of how much mineralis-vita he had snorted earlier. He was sure the legionnaire could hear his heart wildly pounding away in his chest. It was a feeling like no other. He tried to calm himself and be patient. He knew he had to escape before the Legionnaires returned, for his usefulness had been all but expended. He heard a blood curdling scream, followed by howls and emitter fire.

He felt a smile pull his hairy lips back. Soon Screwtongue's moment would be upon him. The legionnaire barely stirred when the sounds of gunfire broke out. Good, good, that meant that the analgesic that their doctor gave him were starting to take effect. Screwtongue wondered what his blood would taste like. It would probably be savory, as he didn't look like the type that indulged a sweet tooth.

"No!" Screwtongue told himself, "I am not going to try and guess, I am going to let this be a happy surprise, I am going to greet whatever happens, with joy! I am buoyant with mineralis-vita, and while I know I will crash later, and it will be the pit of despair, I know that isn't right now, and right now, in this moment I am at the apex of euphoria, I might be an unsightly rat, but I judge how I feel about it in here."

He put his ragged hand over his heart. "And here!" He moved his hand to place his palm on his forehead.

"The only part of the world I can truly change is me! I shall decide my feelings going forward, today is the beginning of something new, I can feel it. Once I am done here, I will stand up to them, get my powder, then, I will purchase a cask of guzzle, wait no, elixir! Then I will find a quiet place and drink elixir and sniff powder. Then, when all my powder is gone, I will bide my time, and when the moment is right I shall take what is left of Tzreek's den from him, as well as both of his hens! His nest will be mine! I shall move up from the sewers and onto the hybrid throne! My name is Screwtongue and this is my destiny!"

The flap of the dissimulation tent was wrenched open, snapping Screwtongue out of his inner reverie.

The soft unpleasant face of Jakob White appeared.

"What happened to him creature?"

"He was gravely injured by the beasts. He has become insensible, and was taken here to recover, oh great one." Screwtongue said in the low tone used by people who are trying to speak quietly without waking others up.

"I see, where is Salazaar?"

"He left to help the Legionnaires. Said something about them maybe being overwhelmed by Crow-men."

"The stupid fool, will get himself killed for sure." Jakob said with a tone of smug satisfaction."

"What progress have the Legionnaires made?"

"They have already started fighting, oh magnanimous one."

"I can hear that you fool." Jakob cuffed Screwtongue harshly.

"We do not employ the likes of you to state the obvious. We employ the likes of you to serve as a capable spy, and inform us of all the things we don't already know."

"Screwtongue hybridized himself for you and Supervisor Rofoscue, oh great one, but the dose makes my head hurt all the time. Give us some powder. Only the powder calms me."