𝟱. 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀

Start from the beginning

"Sure." I nodded and let her look at my wrist.

She held my wrist and looked at it again. "Daddy, can I get one?" She looked up at Tenzin.

"The only tattoos you'll ever get is your airbender tattoos. And you won't get those for another few years." He said.

"Oh right! I can't wait till I get mine." She said.

"Well, with your smarts, I'm sure you'll get them soon." I told her.

She smiled and went back to eating her dinner.

We finished dinner and Asami and I helped Pema clean up.

As Pema was washing a dish in the kitchen, Asami and I were picking up plates and cups to take to the sink.

We placed them next to the sink and then tried to begin helping her wash them.

"No, no. It's fine. I can do it." She urged.

"Come on, Pema. You never let us help you." Asami laughed.

"I like washing the dishes, I like to think while I do so. You two, go be teenagers or something. I've got it." She nodded.

Asami and I look at eachother and sigh.

Asami started walking down the hallway but I wanted to talk to Pema for a second.

"You go ahead." I muttered to her.

She nodded and continued down the hallway.

"Hey, Pema?" I started.

"Yes?" She answered sweetly.

"Can I just ask? Why do you care so much that we got tattoos?" I asked.

"Because it was irresponsible. You guys could have gotten hurt." She said.

"Yeah but.. I mean, Tenzin didn't seem to care all that much. And I know if one of his kids did what we did, he'd lose his mind."

She looked up at me. "That's called discipline."

"Yeah, I know what it is."

She laughed. "I never got much of that growing up. So, thanks." I nodded.

"You don't remember your parents discipling you when you were little?" She looked up.

"Uhm, I remember my mom yelled at me once for breaking a glass when I was like.. five or four, but that's all." I shrugged.

"Huh." She dried her hands with a rag and turned to face me.

"Well, yelling and screaming isn't discipline. But you're gonna get a lot more discipline if you keep doing stupid things like this." She tapped my arm.

I laughed. "I'm sorry, but come on. It's cute isn't it?"

She rolled her eyes. "It is.."

I stayed in the kitchen and we talked for another hour or so. I hadn't realized how much I needed a woman like Pema in my life until now.