The Polyjuice Potion

"The Polyjuice Potion," the voice read aloud.

"At last," Andromeda exhaled heavily.

They stepped off the stone staircase at the top, and Professor McGonagall rapped on the door. It opened silently and they entered. Professor McGonagall told Harry and Hermione to wait and left them there.

"Just like that?" Sirius asked.

Hermione sniffed through her wet nose and took a deep breath. She lifted her head and squared her shoulders and looked around the office. Harry brought his hand back to his side but kept close to his sister, also looking around.

One thing was certain: of all the teachers' offices Harry and Hermione had visited so far this year and last, Dumbledore's was by far the most interesting. If they hadn't been scared out of their wits that they were about to be thrown out of school, they would have been very pleased to have a chance to look around it.

"Dumbledore's office is spectacular," Flitwick agreed.

"The twins would certainly not be thrown out of the school," Severus muttered bitterly.

It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle-legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tattered wizard's hat - the Sorting Hat.

Harry hesitated. He cast a wary eye around the sleeping witches and wizards on the walls and Hermione (who was looking at the silver instruments curiously). Surely it couldn't hurt if he took the hat down and tried it on again? Just to see . . . just to make sure it had put him in the right House -

"It didn't make a mistake," Euphemia snorted. "Them arriving at school with a loud band proves it."

Fleamont laughed, agreeing with his wife.

He walked quietly around the desk, lifted the hat from its shelf, and lowered it slowly onto his head. It was much too large and slipped down over his eyes, just as it had done the last time he'd put it on. Harry stared at the black inside of the hat, waiting. Then a small voice said in his ear, "Bee in your bonnet, Harry Potter?"

"Er, yes," Harry muttered. "Er - sorry to bother you - I wanted to ask -"

"You've been wondering whether I put you in the right House," said the hat smartly. "Yes . . . you and your sister were particularly difficult to place. But I stand by what I said before" - Harry's heart leapt - "you two would have done well in Slytherin -"

"His heart leapt?" Lily repeated. "If Cassiopeia would have been there, she would have been giving Harry a very long lecture about house traits."

"I'm not saying that she would be wrong," James butted in, "but Harry and Hermione have heard and read bad things about Slytherin from the start. I can't blame them. If anyone would have told me that, and assuming that my mother wasn't a Slytherin herself, I would have believed them too. And it's not like Malfoy and Snape had helped any better in further proving that theory. They might not be dark, but they are bullies."

"Bully?" Severus drawled, then snorted sarcastically. "That's rich coming from you."

"Well, I am rich," James smirked at the outraged expression on Severus' face. "I, unlike you, don't bully anyone. Especially not eleven year olds who have inferiority complex because of their family." He threw an apologetic glance at Frank, who, tilted his head, motioning that he didn't mind James'accusation at his family? He knew how his family was.