Dragons and Nosy Snakes

Bold letters are from the book
--------

The book was passed from Gryffindor table to Narcissa, sitting on the Slytherin table.

She opened the book delicately and eyed the chapter title. Then, in a clear and loud voice, she read, "Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback,"

Quirrell, however, must have been braver than they’d thought. In the weeks that followed he did seem to be getting paler and thinner, but it didn’t look as though he’d cracked yet.     

"That's a relief," Fleamont said.

Every time they passed the third-floor corridor, Harry, Ron, Cassiopeia and Hermione would press their ears to the door to check that Fluffy was still growling inside. Snape was sweeping about in his usual bad temper, which surely meant that the Stone was still safe. Whenever either Harry or Hermione passed Quirrell these days they gave him an encouraging sort of smile, and Ron and Cassiopeia had started telling people off for laughing at Quirrell’s stutter.     

Hermione had started drawing up study schedules and colour-coding all her notes. Harry, Ron and Cassiopeia wouldn’t have minded, but she kept nagging them to do the same. Cassiopeia, whom Hermione thought would be the one backing her up (as she thought she was like her for studies because she almost always knew the answers to the questions teachers asked and her work was always complete on time), had advised her to take it easy.

Ted looked at Andromeda from the corner of his eyes. His youngest daughter reminded him of the time when his wife was a student.

“Hermione, the exams are ages away.”     

“Ten weeks,” Hermione snapped. “That’s not ages, that’s like a second to Nicolas Flamel.”     

“But we’re not six hundred years old,” Ron reminded her. “Anyway, what are you studying for, you already know everything.”     

"Wrong thing to say, Ronald," Sirius said.

"Why?" Arthur asked.

"Knowing Hermione, she would go in a whole rant mode, stating how she should have started studying months ago," Sirius said.

"Or, as Moony says, it's never bad to learn something new. The more we read a book, the more we understand the deeper meaning behind it," Peter added, grinning at Remus.

"Wiser words were never spoken, Mr Lupin," Professor Slughorn said, laughing heartily.

“What am I studying for? Are you crazy? Do you realise we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They’re very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don’t know what’s gotten into me....”     

"Is she always like that or are Hogwarts' exams being treated specially?" Cassiopeia asked Harry.

"Hogwarts isn't special," Harry said, sighing and shaking his head at Hermione, remembering the times she had nagged him to study. If only she was allowed to nag Dudley, then maybe he wouldn't have been that stupid.

"He complimented her!" A Ravenclaw boy gasped. "I am shocked it didn't hurt his pride."

Unfortunately, the teachers seemed to be thinking along the same lines as Hermione and she couldn't be more glad of it. They piled so much homework on the students that the Easter holidays weren’t nearly as much fun as the Christmas ones. It was hard to relax with Hermione next to you reciting the twelve uses of dragon’s blood or practising wand movements. Moaning and yawning, Harry and Ron spent most of their free time in the library with her and Cassiopeia, trying to get through all their extra work.