The Midnight Duel

Sorry for the (long) delay. I went on a much needed(my mother's opinion) vacation.

Bold italic letters are from the book
Italics are the listener's reaction
---------------------------

"The Midnight Duel," Professor Sprout read.

"The twins aren't fools to duel, right?" Lilly asked worriedly. "They are just first years."

"Harry could be but Hermione isn't foolish." James said. "She would stop him."

Hermione and Harry thought that there was no one they could hate more than Dudley but it was before they met Draco Malfoy. Still, the first-year Gryffindors only had Potions with the first-year Slytherins, so, hopefully they didn't get to see much of Malfoy.

"It looks like Malfoy and Potter families will always have a rivalry." Frank commented.

Or so they thought until they spotted a notice pinned up in the Gryffindor Common Room that made them all groan. Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday-

"It's nothing to groan about," Tristan Wood said.

And Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together.

"It's something to groan about," Sirius said.

"Typical," Harry said darkly as he sat opposite Hermione at breakfast. "Just what I aways wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

"You won't," James said firmly.

"Yes, because he would be as good as his Godfather on a broomstick." Sirius said.

"You know I don't like flying, Sirius." Remus said.

"Who said that you are going to be his Godfather?" Sirius asked. "Tell him, James," Sirius said turning to the bespectacled boy. "Moony isn't going to be your children's Godfather, right?"

"Oi, Moony. Who said that you could be their Godfather?" James said. "It is Peter who is going to be their Godfather." James teased.

"Traitors," Sirius pouted.

"No problem, Sirius," Peter patted his friend's hand. "You can be their dog father."

The Marauders chuckled at the inside joke.

"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," Ron said reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."

Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the House Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories which always seem to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters ("He wouldn't even know what a helicopter is," Cassiopeia scoffed.)

"What is hellicooter?" Arthur asked.

"It's helicopter," Lilly corrected him. "It's one of the muggle air transporting system. I will tell you about it later, Mr Weasley."

Arthur nodded.

Hermione's lecture to Neville about Quidditch from her book, Quidditch through the ages, was interrupted by a mail.

"You can't learn Quidditch like that," Regulus cried.

Harry and Hermione hadn't had a single letter since Hagrid's note, something that Malfoy had been quick to notice.