What's Malfoy's house elf doing in their room?

Rosier took the book from Barty and eyed the page hungrily with his eyes.

"Dobby's warning," he read.

"What's Dobby doing there?" Narcissa asked.

"Who's Dobby?" Regulus asked her.

"Our house-elf," Narcissa said.

"We have a house-elf with that name?" Lucius asked, genuinely curious.

Narcissa blinked her eyes at him, shocked.

"How could you not know, Lucius? Dobby tends to you everyday." She said.

Lucius furrowed his brows for a moment, and then, his face lit up with recognition and he sighed.

"Oh," he exclaimed. "It's that bat-eared, green-eyed, elf!" He said, nodding, as if he had just solved a great puzzle.

"Those Purebloods," Severus shook his head in disgust. "They don't even know the name of the person or creature who lives with them and tends to them everyday. Disgusting, prideful, piece of shits."

"Now," Rosier drawled, eyeing Lucius and Narcissa. "If your discussion is over," he lifted his eyes towards the page when Narcissa nodded, "Dobby's warning," he said again and started reading.

Hermione managed not to scream, but it was a close thing. The little creature on the bed had large, bat-like ears and bulging green eyes the size of tennis balls. Harry knew instantly that this was what had been watching him out of the garden hedge that morning.

As the twins and the creature stared at each other, Harry and Hermione heard Dudley's voice from the hall.

"May I take your coats, Mr and Mrs Mason?"

The creature slipped off the bed and bowed so low that the end of its long, thin nose touched the carpet. The twins noticed that it was wearing what looked like an old pillowcase, with rips for arm- and leg-holes.

"Only Malfoys could treat their house elves like that," Lily muttered in disgust.

"All the house elves wear rags like that, Ms Evans," Narcissa said tightly, her eyes holding a challenge to defy her. "They reject wearing clothes because they think that we are freeing them and I must tell you that I treat my house elves better than others. You can ask these three about that." She pointed to Sirius, Regulus and Andromeda, who all nodded.

"Cissa takes care of her things well," Regulus said, nodding. "Even house elves because they belong to her and thus, she thinks that it's her responsibility to look after them."

Lily, who was still in doubt over these words, looked at Andromeda in question and Andromeda nodded, silently confirming that the elves were cared deeply by Narcissa. At last, Lily sighed and mumbled a small, "Okay, I believe you,"

"But still," Remus interjected, "what is Malfoy's house elf doing in their room?

"Er - hello," said Harry nervously, finding his voice.

"Harry Potter!" said the creature in a high-pitched voice Harry was sure would carry down the stairs. "Hermione Potter! So long has Dobby wanted to meet you two, sir and miss ... Such an honor it is . . . ."

"Th-thank you," said Hermione, as Harry edged along the wall and sank into his desk chair, next to Hedwig, who was asleep in her large cage. She wanted to ask, "What are you?" but thought it would sound too rude, so instead she said, "Who are you?"

"Elves don't take it as rudeness," Sirius said, thinking about his house elf, "they are used to it." He shrugged.

"Dobby, miss. Just Dobby. Dobby the house-elf," said the creature.