SEVEN.2

babysitter for a wizard

"Hey McLaggen, there's your girlfriend!" A voice joked and Ophelia looked across the hall at Cormac's friends poking fun at him as he gave her a quick wave and a smile. Ophelia groaned.

"Drunken nights coming back to haunt you, huh?" Draco asked as he walked beside her.

"Always. God I'm such an idiot." She mumbled, rubbing her head.

"If it makes you feel any better, I was absolutely wasted when I first got with Astoria." He confided in her with a smirk. "Hard to see her when all my mind could picture was—," he stopped himself and she peered over at him, knowingly. "People will forget about it. Don't let it get to you."

"Wish they could start forgetting soon." She grumbled as they walked into their defense against the dark arts class. Snape stood up front, reading a piece of parchment in his hand, before shoving it into his robe pocket. Draco and Ophelia sat beside one another, with Pansy and Theo ahead, and Blaise behind them.

"Hurry." Snape grumbled as the last two students hurried in and took their seats. Ophelia took her quill out as Snape began his lecture, and scribbled down some words on a piece of parchment. Draco eyed it curiously, as she pushed it toward him.

'McLaggen wants to get butterbeer with me.'

He stared at the words, letting his anger and jealously subside before responding to it.

'And?'

'I dont know. What do you think?'

She genuinely had no desire to go out with Cormac. But she was slightly curious to see Draco's reaction. Maybe it was the curiosity, maybe it was the fact that she held some feelings for him still. But what she knew was that McLaggen would never compare to what she had with Draco. And he knew that as well. He slid his next message over and she read over it.

'At least you don't have to worry about small talk?'

She laughed to herself, catching Snape's eye briefly before he resumed his talking.

'True, but what if he wants to do more?'

He read it over carefully, before choosing his words wisely.

'Do what makes you comfortable.'

"Nothing would make me comfortable!" She blurted out in whisper, worriedly looking to make sure Snape didn't overhear. Draco on the other hand, shrugged in response. I mean, she could use Cormac to make Draco jealous? But what would she really gain from that.

When class ended, Severus approached Ophelia at her desk as she was gathering up her things. Draco looked over, concerned if they were in trouble. "Professor Dumbledore wishes to speak with you." Snape sounded as unenthused as always.

"What for?" She asked, fully knowing exactly what, but not wanting anyone else to wonder.

"Just come with me." He demanded, beginning his depart. Ophelia gave Draco a wave goodbye and followed Snape down the corridor and all the way to Dumbledore's office, in silence. He tapped on the door, as it opened for him and they walked in. She found herself to the chair across his desk and he turned to her, with a smile on his face.

"Miss Pierce," he greeted with a pleasant smile.

"Hello, professor. Another assessment?" She smirked and he nodded with a chuckle.

"That time of year." He agreed, pulling out his wand. "I've asked Professor Snape here to assist with your gift."

"Assist?" She questioned, confused.

"Yes. As you grow older, your powers grow stronger. Severus is very skilled in the defense against the dark arts, and his specialty is holding back great strengths. I figured this year, he could help with you. Help you... ground yourself and manage your gift properly." He beamed and Ophelia instantly hated the idea.

"I don't think that is necessary—,"

"On the contrary. I think it will be of great use to you." He clapped his hands together. "Now you and Professor Snape can sort out the details later, but I think it will really benefit your well-being, Miss Pierce." He stood from his chair and she did the same, following Snape back out of the room.

"We will meet every week, once a week, for as long as I see fit, am I understood?" Snape groaned, not wanting to do this as much as she didn't.

"Sure." She muttered and he swiftly walked away. She found herself walking around a little, before heading to lunch. Draco and the others sat eating at their usual spots, and she looked over to see Cormac waving her over to him. His friends, somewhat amused. Reluctantly, and against her better judgement, she went to see what he wanted. "Yeah?" She huffed.

"Sit with me." He more like demanded. She glanced over her shoulder at her confused friends, before plopping down onto the bench. "How've you been?" He asked, and she gave a puzzled look.

"Fine?" She questioned. He stared at her, nodding and eating his food. "I'm sorry, is there something you wanted?"

"Oh, no, was just thinking we could have lunch together." He smiled. She felt kind of bad for being so short with him, but now she was burdened with the assignment of a babysitter and her mood had been shot.

"So tell us," one of his friends began and she looked beside him, at the unknown seventh year Gryffindor.

"Tell you what?" She snapped.

"Malfoy's dad is really in Azkaban right now?" They laughed amongst themselves and she looked to Cormac, who remained eating his food and not partaking in their immaturity. She really despised the majority of Gryffindor's.

"Lads, knock it off." He shoved the one to the side. "Sorry about them, they were dropped on their heads a babies."

"Sounds painful." She commented, glancing back over at Draco, who wasn't even looking her way anymore.

"Very." Cormac laughed, noticing her clear distaste for his friends. He set down his silverware, and lifted himself out of his seat, walking around the table and to her side, placing himself beside her but facing the aisle way. "My friends are prats." He joked, and she finally gave a small grin. "Look, I know you're in a complicated thing with Malfoy and Weasley—,"

"I'm not with Fred anymore." She shook her head.

"Yeah, but I just wouldn't mind keeping things... casual, you know? Hooking up, hanging out here and there. But nothing exclusive?" He continued and her mouth began to slowly drop as she rose her brows, in somewhat of a shock that he had the nerve to ask that.

"Is that your way of saying friends with benefits?" She nearly gasped at how he clearly had no shame.

"I mean, sure." He shrugged, but immediately noticed the reaction on her face. "That is unless you wanna try and date or whatever?" He questioned. But at this point she was standing up, exhausted from everyone today.

"You know what, Cormac? I think I'm good. Gonna have to pass on that super generous proposition, but I appreciate the sudden interest." She said, completely defeated, before leaving the Great Hall and heading to her dormitory where she could have an escape from everything.