FORTY ONE

the forbidden forest

"See that up there?" Fred asked Dru, who was staring up the hill at the castle ahead. "That's Hogwarts."

"It's much more beautiful than I could have ever imagined." She gushed, wishing she could see the castle under different circumstances.

"It truly was. Well, before the dark lord took over." He sighed, for a moment getting caught up with the good memories from the past that often haunted him. "But you and I," he directed her line of eye sight toward the forest, "will be going there." He pointed out.

"That's ominous." She muttered.

"It's the forbidden forest. That's where we'll find the centaurs and they'll be able to help us. They want this war to end just as much as we do." He whispered as she nodded, silently. Looking around, Fred made notice of the easiest hiding places he could find. There were a couple of open air spots they would have to run through before reaching the forest itself. But, if they stopped at each tree along the way, they should be alright. The others will be here in an hour, and when they arrive, all hell will break loose, so they have to get to the centaurs quickly. "Alright," Fred looked back to Dru, "now it's my turn to lead you through the forest." He smirked at her, trying to ease her anxious mind. "Grab my hand." He instructed, and she did, before he immediately began to sprint with her in tow behind him. They stopped at the first tree, peering around to make sure no one was watching and then proceeded to the next. A muffled voice from afar caused Fred to grab Ophelia, against his body, holding his hand over her mouth. He could hear talking, but he wasn't sure how far away they were and if they had been spotted or not. As he peered around, he noticed from a distance that two death eaters were enthralled in conversation, and then within just a moment, disapparated. "Okay, come on." Fred instructed, pulling her hand as they ran forward to the tree line.

Breathlessly, they finally reached into the forest where they no longer had to worry about death eaters, only the creatures that would be around. She stared over at him, frightened by the atmosphere. It felt cold and dark. "Fred–" she choked out, grabbing his hand in fear as he looked ahead to see a figure in the distance.

"It's okay. I think we're safe." He told her.

"That's reassuring." She joked, trying to ease up but the entirety of the situation was utterly terrifying. Still holding onto her hand tightly, she followed him up the hill where the figure waited. As they approached, it was a quick relief realizing the figure had four animalistic legs and a long torso extending upwards. They approached with caution, before the figure approached and the moonlight highlighted his face.

"Firenze," Fred bowed his head in greeting, and Dru did the same.

"Mister Weasley. It's been some while." Firenze commented, eyeing the girl beside Fred as she peered up through the curtains of her hair at him. "I see you've brought a guest." He cocked his head curiously to the left.

"This is Dru. You may remember her as Ophelia Pierce." Fred told him and Firenze stepped further toward her.

"Of course. I thought she had died in the second battle." He said.

"She was believed to be dead, yes. Firenze, we don't have much time. Hermione and the others will be here soon." Firenze stared at him, curiously. "It's time." Fred told him, growing serious as Firenze straightened his back, shifting in place.

"You have no idea how long I have waited for you to say that." He smiled, wickedly. "Come, follow me to the others. We will prepare." He instructed and they agreed, following him deeper into the woods.

"How did you know he would help us?" Dru whispered to Fred, but before he could answer, Firenze spoke up in his place.

"The PA and my kind have had a long alliance. When the dark one took over, we sought out Miss Granger offering our assistance. But as times grew tough and the nights got longer, we had formulated a plan to stay put while they prepared. We knew it wouldn't take too long before we fought back and took what was rightfully ours." Dru stared at him, in awe. "Many of us have died out, but the few remaining, we prepare. I take it you all have something that will defeat the dark one?" He asked Fred, looking over his shoulder at him.

"You're looking at her." Fred smirked sadly. He was thankful they had their weapon, but nervous over the fact that it was her. Firenze stopped in his tracks, turning to face them once again.

"Her?" He asked, confused.

"Firenze, she has powers. Powers no other witch or wizard has the ability of possessing. She is our only hope." He told him, as Dru stared awkwardly at the creature, giving a cheeky grin.

"Does the dark one know of her existence?" He asked, not sure whether this would be enough to defeat him.

"He believes her to be dead, but there's no way he doesn't know of the abilities she has." Fred told him and Dru snapped her head to him, confused.

"How would he know about my abilities?" She asked.

"Dumbledore was good at hiding secrets, but the dark lord is better at uncovering them. I'm just taking a guess, but I'm sure he does. Or did." Fred told her and she let out an anxious sigh, gazing around at the forest surrounding her. "It'll be okay. He has no idea you are alive. So we have that in our favor."

"You trying to convince me that, or yourself?" She asked, jokingly. He wrapped his arm around her as they entered into a heavily wooded area. Firenze lifted the tree branches hanging in their view, and suddenly they were facing a small hidden village ahead. Only a few centaurs there– 20 or so. But enough to keep her safe for now.

"You're welcome to any food or weaponry. The choice is yours." Firenze told them as he hurried off ahead to a group of centaurs to inform them of what was to come.

"Fred, if I'm being honest here, I don't know what I'm doing." She looked up at him and he pulled her into his chest, comfortingly.

"I have faith that you'll figure it out. And no matter what, I will be by your side, protecting you. Even if I have to die in the process." He said, resting his chin on top of her head. She closed her eyes, burying her face in his shirt, letting the tears stream down her face. She wasn't ready for any of this, but she had to be.

— — —

"Draco," a voice spoke softly as Draco turned to see Pansy approaching him with Theo by her side. He stared out of the astronomy tower, watching the night sky. "It's getting close." She muttered as she stood beside him.

"I know." He let out a deep breath, refusing to remove his gaze.

"She's got this, mate." Theo said to him now, standing on the other side of him. Blaise hung in the back, leaning against one of the tall pillars near the stairwell.

"When this begins, you need to find her." He told her, in a stern voice.

"Yes, of course." Pansy nodded. "Where will you be?" She asked, wondering what he was planning, if he wasn't going to be with them to help find Dru. But as Draco opened his mouth to speak, a bright light appeared in the sky from the deserted village of Hogsmeade. This was it. This was the beginning to an end. And even as much as they convinced themselves that they were ready, nobody actually was.

"I have some unfinished business to take care of. Make sure she's safe." He told her before turning from them and descending down the stairs.