Chapter 15

Shanique Munroe

I'm sitting at the kitchen counter editing my research paper on Dan's laptop. It was due a week ago but our lecturer gave us an extension of this coming Friday and I want to finish up before the week starts.

I usually type up my papers on my Samsung tablet or my phone, seeing that I don't own a laptop. My mom couldn't afford one when I got accepted to UTech, so she had saved up and bought a tablet for me and I was grateful.

I was grateful for my tablet and Tanya sometimes let me use her MacBook when she doesn't have anything to do. I use the cloud form of the Microsoft suite so I can edit my assignments anywhere and that's what I'm currently doing.

I forgot to pack my tablet Thursday, and I really didn't want to wait until I got home to do this assignment. Plus with the amount of food Pops is preparing I'm not sure of how I'll be able to stay awake after.

I woke up to a text from him this morning asking me what liquor I like. Apparently Dan told him I don't drink. How he got my number, I can't tell you but he has been sending updates of the food all morning and I can't wait to get there so I can eat.

"How far you reach with the paper?" Dan walks out of his office wearing a pair of prescription glasses. That was one of the biggest shock for me when I first saw him in them. He is so adorable, with his Clarke Kent looking ass.

"I think I'm done." I tell him as I shove the laptop over to him for him to proofread. Good piece a man this mi have. Watch him a edit me work like the good little nerd that he is. Love that for me. Hehehe 😝

"Okay, this looks good. You're gonna submit it today?" He asks and I nod my head. No better time than the present. Plus my wifi at my house unpredictable so it's best I do it now while I have access to Dan's fiber fast internet.

"Why you don't walk with your laptop on Thursdays so you can have access to it if needs be over the weekend?" He asks me while walks over to the couch and turning on the TV.

"I don't have one." I tell him as I log into Moodle and search for the section where I'm supposed to upload the assignment.

"Wah yuh mean by that?" Dan says looking over at me.

"Wah yuh mean by wah me mean? I don't own a laptop." I tell him.

"So how you do your assignments and study?" He presses.

"On my phone and my tablet." I say shrugging. Once I get the confirmation that my assignment was submitted I log out and close Dan's laptop. This look pricey, nuh want a thing do it cause I can't pay for it.

"I was actually thinking about using the money you gave me to buy one. I still have it and I think I can get a decent one for $50,000. What you think?" I ask Dan. He was staring at me like I had two heads.

"Wait, is it that your laptop broke and you couldn't replace it?" He goes on to ask after some time. I find it funny that he is not grasping the concept of me not owning a laptop.

"My mom couldn't afford one. Plus me coming here was an extra bill for her so she bought me a tablet my first year and that's what I've been using." I explain to him.

"You know which one you want?" He asks me. I shook my head cause I was mostly focusing on price point right now.

"Okay, you can keep that one." He says pointing to the laptop on the counter. What? That's a freaking MacBook, who just casually gives away a MacBook?