Chapter five: Mere coincidence

[Beware, there may be OOC in this chapter.]

Coincidences are just luck as people say they could be. But it's getting more strange each time I encounter them. 'What do we say about coincidences?'

'The universe is rarely lazy' - Sherlock Holmes

But what if these so-called coincidences would be clues to someone's deception?

[May 1st]
Ayanokouji's POV

After Akiyama has left the table, I look at the paper. "So this is the second girl's phone number in my high school career. Akiyama-San did take the blame. I don't see the reason why she would but now she has to take the consequences to work with Horikita-San. I'm not happy about it but I'd better save it anyway."

[Classroom 1-D - after classes]

I kept staring at the piece of paper. "I guess I have to do it since I said I would.." okay let's do it.

I search around the school hallways to find Ike. Guess I should muster my energy to these conversations so I can try to convince them. "Hi. Do you wanna join Horikita-San's study group?" Simply straight forward.

Ike turns his head looking at me. "Nah." He walks away after denying the request. I guess I should find Yamauchi.

I manage to find him on a mid pathway of staircases. "Hello. Do you want to join Horikita-San's study group?" Yamauchi looks at me, thinking about his response. Is he going to say yes?

"Hmm. I can't make it." That's expected. Now to find the final person. I walk outside of the school to search for Sudo. "Oh, Sudo." I approach him as he looks at me, clearly agitative. "What?"

"Do you want to join Horikita-San's study group?" I'm keeping it straightforward. I was suddenly grabbed by the collar. "The hell did you say to me?!" Looks like I made him angry. "A study group," I answered as I remain unfazed by his aggressive behavior.

"Hell no. That's final. I don't care about this school so you guys can fail. Leave me out of it." He lets go of me and walks away.

[Dorm room]

"Knew it was hopeless." I sigh disappointedly at the results. "I'd better get help from someone they could get along with." I look at my phone. 20:02. "I wonder if she's up." I sat up from my bed, looking at the internal phone lines.

I got up and approach the phone line, dialing the phone number. "Yes. Could you put me through Kushida-San from class 1-D? It is something for class." They transported me to Kushida's line. The first thing I hear was something in the background. "Hello?" It was Kushida's voice.

"Hel- Uhm.. what's that sound I'm hearing?" Looks like she can hear me from the other side. "Oh, Ayanokouji-Kun?" She turns off whatever that sound was. "Can you hear me now? Sorry I was taking a shower but don't worry I got out. It was surprising for you to call me and it's my first time using internal phone lines."

"I was surprised too. Anyway, rejoice Kushida. You've been selected as a goodwill ambassador. For the sake of our class, please give it all you got." I said in the most dramatic way possible. If I even sounded like it. She sounds surprised on the other line.

I explain to Kushida about the study group and Horikita is the person hosting it. "Oh? A study group for Sudo-Kun and the others that Horikita-San is doing? Yeah sure. Besides, when a friend is in trouble, you have to be there for them so, of course, I can help." That was easy, I didn't expect her to obligate.

"You're under no obligation."

"Oh, nono; it's okay. It's pretty cruel that anyone who fails gets expelled. The thought of having to say goodbye like that after only just becoming friends.. wouldn't that be awful?"