Chapter two: Acquaintances

Friendship. The easiest way to be away from the tough life. You can be popular among girls and boys. Be charming. You just have to be friendly and beautiful to get what you want.

You have the freedom to befriend anybody... But the question is how long till you will receive a "friend"? Can you rush the process of befriending?

April 25th (three weeks after the entrance ceremony)

Akiyama POV

It's now day twenty-four. Groups are already forming within the class. Is it bad that I'm not in any of them? Probably. "You're pitiful." I'm not surprised if there's going to be tension between Ayanokouji and that girl.

I turn to look at them. That's a sad sandwich. "You're alone too." I look at Ayanokouji that we saying the same words at the same time. The girl there doesn't seem to mind although it shows she's getting annoyed. "Yes. It's because I like being alone. You should mind your own business." She said, taking a bite of her sad sandwich.

Ayanokouji stood out of his seat and walks to the classroom door, he seems to be going somewhere. Since school session still going on and it's lunch period. I would assume he's going to the cafeteria. I turn away my attention back to the girl. "Since we are sitting close, I was wondering if I could get your name." She continues to ignore me and still eating her sad sandwich.

"We're going be classmates for 3 years and you're sitting close to me so it would be unsettling not knowing someone's name. Do I call you they, them? A nobody?" She looks at me, oops. I may have spoken too much.

"Horikita Suzune." She goes back to eating her sandwich. Is she related to the student council president? Maybe I should try to get to know her. "So, why do you want to be alone?" She continues to not look at me. "You don't seem very good at interacting with people. You sure have a talent of making someone very irritated by your words." Ow. At least I don't have the level of lousy social skills.

"I'm sorry about that. Although you don't seem to be much better yourself. You're better at pushing people away." I rest my chin on my left hand. "Yes. I want it like that. I don't need friends. Got a problem with that?" Good job Miyako, you ended up making her more irritated.

"Nothing. Thank you for talking with me though. Horikita-San." I turn my head back to face the front of the classroom. I can still hear people chatting about spending their points like it's nothing. They're going to get it back anyway after this month has passed. After lunch period, it is now class time. I look around the classroom. Is it strange that the teacher isn't going up to them and confronting them? There's like most people on their cellphones, talking in class, sleeping, tardiness, absence. Is this a school that will give its students 100% employment and college?

The bell rung. "That is all. Please review as your quiz is coming up by the end of this week." Chabashira-Sensei says as she leaves the class. I was putting my pencil and my notebook into my school bag. "It's strange but yet this school seems to be indulgent." I look at Horikita. "The teacher doesn't even confront the students that are sleeping or using their cellphone." I turned back to zip my bag then turn to look at Horikita.

"A school that has a 100% guarantee of success in life but our classmates be slacking off? I can say their successful life has gone down to 5% chance they will take it seriously." I explain my point of view about the situation of students doing whatever they want. Ayanokouji seems to be listening to our conversation, maybe I should invite him in. Since he seems to be a loner of some sort unlike Horikita, he doesn't push people away. "What do you think, Ayanokouji-Kun?" He blinks looking at me then looks at Horikita.

"Maybe they are trying to encourage students' autonomy." Seems reasonable but yet it seems weird for this school run by the government to let the students go wild with their 100,000 points and let them do whatever they want in class. "Hey. If you both are going to go out, can you come with me?" Wait, what? A guy like him asked for horikita and I come with him? "May I ask why?" I ask since Horikita seems to wonder the same.