𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟒𝟎 { He Said I Needed Closure}

Start from the beginning

No. No...no...no...no..

"That's not why I was distracted." He doesn't hesitate and hands me the photo that I had tried to burn out of my memory since. "Why don't you ever tell me about her." He looks at me with concerned eyes telling me that he truly is worried.

The piece of paper fits perfectly in my hand. Not too big for me to analyze the small little details I liked to stay hidden and not too small for it to be lost with the rest of the pile. I looked so innocent, full of what many would call life when in that moment my life changed forever. The one person I relied on to shelter me in this world was the storm that destroyed me.

Looking at that picture I saw my reflection. Same rosy cheeks, splattered freckles and slightly lopsided smile that confirmed what everybody knew.

Three Years Ago

The man seated in front of me signs the last line of the thirty page document before standing up. "Congratulations, it's official. Sage Winters on behalf of Major Models Id like to welcome you as an official member of our agency. We are so lucky to have you."

"Thank you so much Mr. Acosta." I smile brightly while returning the handshake. Mom does a happy dance beside me and I can practically see the dollar signs replacing her eyes.

"Please, call me Andrew. It's only fitting." He announces. "Now c'mon let's get a picture. I always like to commemorate an occasion like this."

"Oh- I really didn't..."

"Oh of course we'll take a photo." Mom speaks up, while fishing in her purse and taking out a pocket mirror. She touched up her lipgloss and ran her fingers through her hair not once or twice but three different times.

"Mrs.Winters I'm afraid this is only for the client." Andrew informs my mother. There are tiny beads of sweat beginning to form on his forehead.

Yup, that's what she does to people.

"Don't be silly. I'm her mother. I practically got her here. I should be in the photo too." Mom argues and pulls me closer to her, forming one of her forced manipulative smiles that gets people to do whatever she wants.

"Of course. On the count of three, smile for the camera." Andrew holds up his phone in front of the two of us standing side by side as I do what I was always taught. Chin slightly down, shoulders pulled back and think of something that makes you happy.

"Not too hard sweetie." Moms whispers, without breaking her own.

I bite my tongue and I do as she says, only lifting the corners of my mouth about an inch and looking directly at the camera.

Flash!

"Got it, ladies. You two look perfect. I'll be sure to have my assistant send over a copy for you both." He goes back behind his desk, adding my contract to the pile already stacked on his desk.

"Thank you." I give him a look as my mother takes a few of her own selfies by the window that overlooked all of Manhattan and he gives me a curt nod telling me he understood the double meaning to those two words.

End of Flashback

"There's nothing to tell..." I crumble the picture in my hands and rub my temples with a sigh.