𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟖 { For Every Thanksgiving }

Start from the beginning

I close the distance between us and reach for his free hand that was tapping his thigh nonstop. Zach tightens his grip on my hand as I step closer, leaning my body against his. His body seemed to ease under my touch as the fidgeting slowly came to a halt and he blew a small breath of relief.

Cowboys." Zachs brows crease in concentration as his eyes frantically dart from the door to me.

"Huh?"

"Your dads a Cowboys fan, an ER nurse, lives and breathes his coffee, has had his tonsils removed like me, doesn't like my sister-

"Zachariah." I stopped him.

"Sorry. Hates my sister." He resumes with a sly correction. His hand strokes the back of his neck repeatedly, the action slightly ruffles up his neatly combed hair.

Now that I think about it his hair was never combed. It was usually left out in a messy mop of curls that spilled over his eyes and ears. I didn't want him changing a single thing about him just to please my dad.

"We talked about this." I sigh.

His voice drops to a whisper. "He hates Kelsey, what makes you think he won't hate me too, Sage."

My heart almost breaks. I had no idea he felt that way.

"He w-

The faint echo of Willow barking on the other side of the door interrupts my sentence. Suddenly the door opened revealing my father with a teary eyed smile on his face. Oddly enough, he isn't in his scrubs but rather a plain polo shirt and jeans.

"Dad!" I melt into his arms, instinctively closing my eyes as he engulfed me in the warmest hug. In the back of my mind I could only think of Zachs previous statement.

"I thought Willow was being a menace again but she must've heard you two behind the door." He spoke softly as we both pulled away.

My attention was immediately drawn to large white and black husky sniffing my shoes. Her tail wagged excitedly as she climbed up my leg, panting with her tongue out. I scratched behind her ear with a wide smile as she shut her eyes in delight.

"She already loves you." He chuckles.

"Why wouldn't she?" I take her paws in my hand as I crouched down to her level, only for Willow to lick my cheek.

Zach, is it?" Dad questioned, finally looking behind me.

I could feel all the calmness leave my body and tension fill the air.

He removes his hands from his pockets and extends it to my dad. "Yes sir. It's nice to formally meet you. Thank you again for extending the invite on short notice."

Dad nods briefly as I give him a be nice look in which he finally speaks.

"Of course, any friend of my daughters is a friend of mine. Please come in." He moves out the way as I walk through the double doors.

I notice Zach winces at the word friend but relax once I reassure him with a tight lipped smile.

Dad had every reason to be reluctant to our relationship but I hoped this weekend would only prove to him that Zach and I are a great pair.

I walk inside and nostalgia clouds my brain. Everything looked the same but yet so different. The once bare cream walls were painted a light grey and white picture frames hung inches from each other. Through the clear glass, pictures upon pictures of Dad, Niko and I throughout the years were seen. Even Willow had her own paw print frame hanging at dog eye level.

"Where's Niko?" I noticed it was way too quiet for a five year old to be living here. I could see reminders of him all throughout the house that made my heart swell.