Chapter 1 - A Chance Encounter

If left unchecked, I might just end the world. That's what I tell most if I'm asked why I'm a pacifist. Of course, most laugh it off as nothing more than a joke.

But I'm serious. I don't quite remember how long I've had this power for; my memories are sketchy at best these days, with them worsening by each passing day.

Why am I telling you this? Well, it's quite simple; I'd much rather fade into the background, be seen as just another face in a crowd of many. I'm not looking to become the very best like no one ever was or anything like that.

I don't have some heavy sense of justice or the urge for revenge. Truth be told, I don't have much intention for anything like that. I don't yearn to make the world a better place or save strangers from their inevitable fate.

If I had my way, I would live everyday peaceful life, settle down and be done with it. 

That would have been the case, and believe me, ask me this two weeks ago, and I would be pretty confident that's how uneventful my life would have been.

That was until the dust robbery. Until I met the girl with silver eyes. That's when everything changed.

If left unchecked, I might just end the world. That's what I told him and for the first time.

He believed me.

****

I flipped my weapon around, ready for battle. This was to be the final fight, do or die. Music blared out, droning away the worries of the morning. Bopping my head, I kicked my broom up, catching it, sweeping the floor, dancing, getting into the rhythm.

Having headphones on, I cranked the music up to the max sweeping the corridors of Beacon. Finally, with the morning sun just rising, I was allowed to dive into my own world, avoiding the masses for a few hours. Nothing could beat a morning dance to the best tunes of all time while annihilating my mortal archnemesis. 

Dust. The bad kind, not the resource.

One thing led to another, and I quickly got distracted, singing into the end of my broom, shuffling back and forth.

"Y/N."

Spinning my broom around, I began jumping up and down, hearing the echo of a voice growing louder at the back of my mind.

"Mister L/N!"

Startled, I took my headphones off, the music bleeding out as I turned, seeing one of the teachers Glynda Goodwitch. Clearing my throat, I went slightly red from embarrassment stuttering. "Y-yes, Miss Goodwitch?"

"These floors will not sweep themselves, young man. Therefore, please refrain from singing during work hours."

"Yes, mam, sorry, mam. I'll get right on it."

Nodding to herself, Miss Goodwitch went to leave only to stop turning back. "Oh, that reminds me. Ozpin has asked me to hand you this."

Taking a piece of paper, I opened it, slightly confused. "This is a shopping list for dust? I don't understand."

"While I doubt you know, the new year begins tomorrow. We'll be having students come far and wide to study here. Ozpin wishes to be well-stocked for any dust shortage that might occur. Can you be trusted with such a task?"

Scratching my head, I nodded, still confused. "I guess so, but might I ask Miss Goodwitch, why me? Surely this isn't a task for a simple janitor like me?"

"Ozpin asked specifically for you; why? Well, when it comes to Ozpin, whoever knows? You can go after your shift tonight; you will be well compensated with a week's holiday all paid for, customary of your troubles."