Drunken Miracles

It was so insanely ironic and completely unfair, in Taylor's mind, that she had found herself leaning up against the exact same wall in the exact same house when she made the decision to try and get laid several months ago. Not even kidding, here she was, with the same damn red cup, filled with the same damn cheap beer, watching the other party goers with disinterest.

Why she had even agreed to come to Nate's stupid party had been a complete and utter mystery. Well, agreed would be the wrong word to use. She had been physically abused into a dress, forcefully strapped into Mitch's car, and getting driven, kicking and screaming, right up to Nate's front door.

So 'agreed', was certainly not the word she would have used.

"Why are you being a party pooper?" Kally yelled as she appeared next to her suddenly, and Taylor sighed, taking another sip of her beer.

"Am I pooping?"

"No?"

"Then I'm not a party pooper, am I?"

Kally snorted, staring flatly at her best friend. "Your jokes are getting drier and drier by the day, T."

"I don't care. And I also can't believed you forced me to come to this stupid party." Taylor said, hoping Kally understood how much she resented her right at that moment. Kally, being herself, however, was focusing on her eyes on Taylor's red cup.

"Are you going to-"

"Just take it." Taylor said, holding it out to her. Kally grinned, taking a huge gulp, then frowned again.

"Oh come on, T! I thought you'd be happy we dragged you along. Well, you did get the invite, which Nate would have told you himself if you stopped ignoring his calls, and it's the perfect opportunity to make things right with him!" Kally ranted, and Taylor waited patiently until she was finished, searching the crowd unwillingly.

She really wasn't trying to look for him, but her eyes just didn't want to listen to her brain.

"It's been a week, and you won't answer his calls, you avoid him at school, hell, he even went to your house on thursday, and your mum had to lie and say you were out with me. When are you going to stop avoiding him?"

"Are you done?" Taylor said tiredly, and Kally shot her a glare.

"Depends on whether you've decided to stop being a thick headed mandarin."

"How much have you had to drink exactly? A mandarin?"

"It's the first fruit that popped into my head, okay? And four, this is my fifth."

Taylor sighed. So she was being a thick headed mandarin, but she was actually scared. Scared to talk to him, because of what he might say. She didn't even understand it herself, but she knew if she talked to him, then it would be final. They might be final, and as much as Taylor had convinced herself over the past week that she would be fine with that, she wasn't.

She wasn't ready for finality with Nate, not yet. Because finality would mean no more Nate, and she knew her heart would truly, as corny as it sounds, break into thousands of pieces. It was already in two, she didn't want to make it double figures.

Just as Taylor opened her mouth to reply, she spotted Adam on the dance floor, smiling and laughing with a brunette girl that she didn't know. Taylor smiled slightly, glad he had found someone else. He deserved it, as much as he had been a dick in their relationship, he was a good guy.

She hadn't even thought about him in months, too focused on Nate to think of anything else. Glancing around at all the guys in the room, whether they be single or taken, Taylor couldn't help but critically compare them to him. One had the same coloured hair, but his wasn't ruffled enough. Another had the physique, but nothing like Nate's. One even wore the same smirk, but it didn't have nearly the same effect.