chapter twenty-two

miami, floridathursday, september 1st6:55 p

miami, florida
thursday, september 1st
6:55 p.m.

                             ——eren's pov——

My mother came into town.

She's been here since Tuesday and staying at my house until she leaves tomorrow morning. To celebrate my mom coming to see me, I decided to take her out to dinner. I just hope she doesn't ask where I have the money to take her out to this fancy of a place.

I am sitting down occasionally drinking my martini while waiting for my mom to come out the bathroom. I took her to Marion Miami for dinner tonight to satisfy her. My mother deserves everything in the world. I love everything about her.

Except the high expectations.

Before coming out to dinner, I made a whole storyline of what I would tell her. I have answers mapped out in my mind to any question she throws at me.

I look at to my mom, who is sitting back down in her chair, and smile at her. She has this huge grin on her face like a mother who is proud of her son—who is a "lawyer."

No Mom. I'm a leader singer in a band full of high-school friends.

"Thank you for taking me out tonight, Eren."

My mother's piercing eyes stare up at me. I can't help but see her as a carbon copy of me. Same face but different eyes. The eyes of my father. The thought of him makes my stomach churn and teeth grind. Bastard. I hope he's rotting in his jail cell right now.

When Mom left the marriage, she finally pressed charges. Domestic violence, abuse, harassment—the whole package. His sentence is coming to an end now for "good behavior" and it was going to end soon anyways.

He gets out around New Year.

He tries to send us letters, but I just put them in a box in my room and never bother reading them. Shit, maybe I'll burn them.

But I'm not here to dwell on the past and harp about my father's abuse.

"Anything for you, Mom."

The waiter comes back and puts the food in front of us. We both thank the waiter and wait for them to leave us in peace.

I pick at my food—twirling it around and scooting it to the side. Bad manners (I know!) but I don't know what to say. My mom usually starts the con-

"How's work?" Mom pipes up. She's already shoving a piece of sushi in her mouth and staring intently.

Right, work. So here's the deal: I told my mom I got hired on permanently with that law firm that I was interning for. Although it's just an "assistant" job, she flipped out and said she would come down to celebrate.

I knew this question would come up eventually.

"Great Mom. The coworkers are nice—but there's a lot of paperwork. My boss is always busy and he's always got something to do." There we go. Nice and simple. Straight to the point.

She takes it in for a moment. Soaking up my words like a sponge. But she's the type of person to keep soaking up information and ask more questions.

"Are there any cute girls in the office?" Mom finally says.

Mom has always been down my neck asking me if I will ever get a girlfriend. Yes ,Mom, I do have a girlfriend. Am I telling her? Fuck no.

"Nope. It's strictly work Mom. I'm putting work before anything else."

I chuckle a little from how much that reminded me of Y/n. I told her I was having dinner with my mom and how she's just like a wildcard. She told me good luck and to call her when she's home.

With my mom home, that means she can't come over. Sure, I could go to her house but mom would be badgering me about where I went.

When I go to "work" and "college," that means I'm at one of the guy's places or Y/n's. Mostly Y/n's. I watch her movies and I'll clean up for her. She knows about the college stuff, but I tell her I'm taking extra courses so that's why I'm always there.

I hate lying to her, but I can't tell her about what I do. See me as this fuck boy guy who used to fuck around and think I'm better than everyone?

Mom toys with her finger and sighs. "That's a shame. I want some grandkids! You know that right?"

I mentally role my eyes and nob. Mom shakes her head and makes a clicking noise with her tongue. Classic move of hers.

"How are those grades of yours?"

Question after question. I'm tempted to just say the life she knows for me is all a lie.

"Great, I am passing everything with flying colors."

Lie lie lie lie lie lie.

How many times am I going to lie tonight?

All my grades are F's and my assignments all have big zeroes on them. Way to go, Eren. And I'm close to finally flunking out. Thank god.

She nods and takes another bite. Mom wipes off some sauce on the corner of her lip and looks like a light bulb went off in her head.

"Did you see that band all over social media? Something to do with devils and what not. My friend's daughter is obsessed with them," she pauses to swallow her wine. "Your friend Armin is in it, I think. What a shame. Throwing away his life with that too. He would've made a great business man."

What?

I'm mid-chew on my sushi and blood rushes to my face. My hands go sweaty and not even the condensation on my glass can cook them down.

That's our band. There wouldn't even be a band without Armin. He's great at what he does and makes a shit ton of money from it. We're successful.

I try to calm down but my blood boils underneath my skin. "Mom, that's not nice to say. He is happy with his job."

Mom scoffs. "That's no job."

I grind my teeth and shake my head. "Enough about me. What have you been up to lately?" I divert the conversation in another direction because I cannot stand to listen to her trash on my actual job and Armin.

Now this seems to make her perk up because her frown turns into an delighted smile. I hear her talk about some book club she's in, her neighbors, and friends of hers. I'm half listening—half not.

Until she says: "And I'm seeing someone!"

I cough on my drink and hold my chest when those words leave her lips.

"He's just the sweetest. We have been seeing each other for two months."

"I'm happy for you, Mom. I'm glad you're happy."

Her cheeks raise with each smile.

I really am happy for her, but I just hope she didn't pick someone like my dad.

I remain in the same spot and listen to her talk again for the next hour.

                                       —————-

oooh mama carla 😇
-reece