chapter nineteen

miami, floridatuesday, august 23rd7:10 p

miami, florida
tuesday, august 23rd
7:10 p.m.

——y/n's pov——

My anxiety goes from zero to ten in a matter of minutes.

Mom and Dad want to call me. This is completely out of the blue because I talked to them a few days ago and everything seemed fine. They usually tell me a few days prior to the day they call me.

They do not like FaceTime either. They prefer using Zoom. I know right, it's weird. It's 2022 and we are not using FaceTime still. Well, at least my parents.

Only my little box with me in it is the only one present on the Zoom screen. I'm anxiously waiting for the both of them to join and picking at my nails. The clock ticking over my door is the only thing keeping me sane from ripping my hair out. The sound makes me feel real and not some simulation.

Seconds pass and a little noise comes up. Then after that, another square with the both of my parents comes up on the screen. Thank god they finally joined. I was starting to worry because I have been on this screen by myself for the past fifteen minutes.

"Hey Mom and Dad," I say and wave at them.

Mom waves back and her short bob waves side to side with her. She's always been the cheery one while my dad just sits there with this grim look to his face like someone died. Dad had his hands folded over his chest and looks like he's about to doze off.

"Hey sweet girl! We just wanted to talk to you about some stuff." Mom puts her hands in front of her and glances at dad. They make eye contact and Mom's smile goes to Dad's grim resting face.

Not good.

My hands and fingers pool with sweat. The fan is on in my room but I suddenly feel like I'm one-hundred degrees.

"We checked your grades and talked with some of your teachers," Dad finally talks. And when he does talk, it's like you've been shot in the chest and you're sinking down slowly.

I am bouncing my leg up and down now trying to ease any and all nerves impacting my thoughts. My thoughts are all negative.

Dad carries on, "You have some missing assignments and one of your grades have went down a little."

"Are things doing okay with you hon? We can make room in Vermont for you if you want," Mom interrupts with her innocent voice trying to make things seem as though they are fine. News flash: they aren't.

A pit in my stomach forms and it's digging it's way through me.

"What she means to say is, are there any distractions down there in Miami? We want the best for you, Y/n."

I gulp and drag a hand down my face. "No, there are no distractions. I'll get everything done."

"Good. Get that grade up ASAP. You know we will not hesitate to stop paying for things," Dad replies and this time it's sterner than the last.

The thing is, there is a distraction. Eren. I knew this shit was going to happen where I fall back on work. Fuck fuck fuck fuck! This wasn't supposed to happen.

I'm supposed to focus on school to get the job I want. All I've been doing is thinking about him all day everyday. My grades are fine but they aren't at their highest. When I'm doing work, I suddenly get slumped and my mind drifts off to him.

But there's got to be a reason. He's just so nice and caring and hot and he's such a gentleman. You don't find that much these days. Jesus Christ, he's everything I want in a guy!

"I know. I love you guys."

"We love you too. Bye-bye."

The call ends and I sit there now looking like my own father. Grim faced, hands over my chest.

I'm going to put my work in front of everything but still make time for him. In fact, I will start now.

I put my phone on silent and scoot my chair to my desk and pull out of book-sack. I throw all my books out and open them to the desired page.

Then, I get my laptop out and get to my assignments and work. Work until I'm so tired I could fall asleep at the desk. Work so hard my fingers and hands tremble. Work so hard I start crying.

                                     ——————

9:37 p.m.

I finally get to the point where I put up my books and laptop in my bag. Two hours pass and I'm already caught up and sending kiss-ass emails to my teachers.

By the end of this week, my grade should be back to where it was. I pick up my phone I left on my bed and open it to see dozens of messages from various people. Annie, Mika, Sasha, group chats, and Eren.

The girls tell my good night while Eren is wide awake. I wonder why is is able to stay up so late but he disappears during the day. Sleep, maybe? What keeps him up at night?

eren: heyy

eren: what are you doing?

eren: we should have nicknames for each other

eren: what about my little honey bunch for you 🥺

eren: too cheesy?

I smile just as quickly as I was frowning. His texts make my heart flutter and my mind go into a frenzy. I'm typing back so hastily that you could even call it lightning speed.

me: if you call me that then can I call you my lovely sugar plum???

me: sorry i was doing assignments i've been falling back a little

eren: do you need space???

me:nono i just gotta get my work done

eren: okay my little honey bunch 😘😘

me: my lovely sugar plum 😍😍

eren: hangout soon??

me: you know it

eren: can't wait

———————

filler chapter cuz i have some good shit planned

-reece