when your legs don't work

Beginne am Anfang

"Hey, just take it easy, okay?" James told her as Kara walked up to her, handing her a glass of water.

"I had the strangest dream," Lena groaned, looking up at her blonde friend. "You were flying, and you were carrying me."

"I was?" Kara questioned, softly chuckling. "Like Supergirl? That's...I wish."

"Why do I feel like I've been hit by a truck?" Lena asked but Kara hesitated for a moment, sitting next to Iris.

"Um...you were poisoned," she told her and Lena stared at her shocked.

"It was the coffee," James said and Lena looked at him. "Kara reacted very quickly and the paramedics came and they gave you an antidote. They said you need to rest."

"It was Edge, wasn't it?" Lena asked.

"Yeah."

"Has he been arrested?" Lena asked.

"No. He didn't do it himself, he hired a hit man. And now that hit man is dead," James told her.

"So, Edge is gonna get away scot-free again?" Lena asked.

"For now," Iris told her.

"You know, Reign was right," Lena said as she got up from the couch and the three eyed her. "Scumbags like Edge need to be put down, okay? He wants a war, then he's got one. I'm the only one who can protect myself."

"Lena, no," Iris said as she got up from the couch. "You are not a killer."

"Yeah, Iris? Maybe you don't know what I am," Lena said.

"Well, hey, I know you," James said, standing up as well as Kara. "You're not thinking clearly right now, okay? We're not out of options. We have a lead, okay? We weren't able to find any fragment of the bullet, no exit wound, no shrapnel, nothing, no casings."

"So, it just vanished?" Kara questioned.

"Yeah, it was weird," Iris said.

"It was some really weird futuristic technology," James said before looking back at Lena. "But if we can find out who can manufacture a bullet like that, we can find the shooter."

"Lena, I give you my word, Edge will not get away with this again," Kara swore and Lena hesitantly nodded.

"Okay," she mumbled. "I feel better," and Iris and Kara smiled before Lena fell into the warmth arms of James.

———

Later on that night, Lena walked into the facility from the fancy elevator, with a long look on her face. When she walked out, Kara and Iris walked by at the same time, immediately noticing the look on her. "Are you okay?" Kara asked.

"Yeah, there's something, I-"

"Hey, Kara, Iris, Lena," and the three looked ahead of them to see Alex and Sam had walked up to them. "Can we talk?"

Sitting in James's office, Kara, Iris, and Lena sat on a couch across from Alex and Sam, the three completely shocked to hear what was happening to Sam. "Sam, I'm so sorry you've been going through this," Kara said.

"I wish you'd have come to us sooner. You shouldn't have had to go through this alone," Lena said.

"I know. I'm sorry I didn't. I...I've always had to take care of myself, you know, and, I guess I was just afraid that if I let you in, you know, let myself feel vulnerable, I would completely fall apart," Sam admitted.

"Yeah, but falling apart is okay," Kara told her. "Cause you'd have us to pick up the pieces."

"Yes, if it were just me, then that would be one thing, but it's not," Sam said and they looked at her slightly confused. "When Ruby was first born, the nurse handed her to me in the hospital and she wrapped her tiny hand around my finger, and I just stared at her in awe. And I swore that I would always protect her, no matter what. So, my greatest fear...is that something will happen to me and I won't be around to protect her. All Ruby has is me. So, if I'm not here...if I'm not around, then what will happen to her? I'm scared."