Chapter 9 A Mutual Alliance

Start from the beginning

"Good, because it's grown on me and I'm not giving it back," She said. Payton laughed and they all walked into the lot.

"What is this place?" Michelle asked in wonder as they entered what appeared to be a wide open space packed with activity. The place was swarming with people; there were cars of every kind, mini food trucks, and even a little makeshift dance floor where a pair of thumping speakers blared out hip-hop for bystanders to hop in and dance.

"Looks like a sideshow," Jett said.

"Guess we weren't off track after all," Reece stated.

"Huh?" Michelle looked confused. Reece pointed to the cars lined up for a race.

"This isn't an ordinary sideshow. It's a rookie tryouts race for the Nevada Nitrous Circuit. Newbies from all over the country come to sign up, compete or trade car parts here. It's like a pre-race before the main event."

"Which means it's a pretty good bet that Trish wants to use Brook as a racer," Payton said dryly.

"But why Brook?" Michelle asked, glancing at him. Brook suddenly looked abashed.

"Because he's the best damn street racer for miles around," Payton said with a laugh, slapping Brook on the shoulder. Michelle's eyes widened.

"You are? I didn't know that," she said to Brook.

"It's not something I brag about." He said, rubbing his neck.

"Hello, you've seen him maneuver the Bugatti." Paige rolled her eyes. Michelle nodded, understanding.

"Right. How could I forget that?" She slipped her hand in Brook's as they walked.

"Didn't think I'd get dragged back into that part of my life again." He muttered.

"You're the best at what you do, Brook, and for once, I wanna be there to root for you," Michelle said softly. Brook's eyes warmed on her.

"Pity the chief is missing this," Reece said as they roamed the grounds. "He used to love these things."

"It's just as well, he'd have run into some unfriendly faces if he came," Payton muttered, seeing some old racers throw curious unsavory looks their way.

"Yeah, he's probably having a fine time curled up with Leslie in front of the TV watching car races from the eighties," Paige mumbled with a knowing smile.

"Hey guys, she's spotted us," Jett said. Everyone turned and saw Trish watching them with keen eyes, slouching by a food truck. They walked over to her.

"You guys made it." She commented. Her gaze became icy as it fell on Michelle's hand entwined in Brook's.

"I see your little tart is back." She said bitterly.

"Watch your mouth, Trish, or we walk away right now," Brook said sharply. Michelle felt heartened to hear Brook defending her. Trish's face twitched but she said nothing.

"Okay, so why don't we start over on a friendlier note?" Jett said, breaking the ice. "We all know each other so there's no need for all this hostility."

"Jett. Always the mediator." Jada stated as she came near. She gave a keen stare at Paige before turning away. A young man was with her, a man with dreadlocks and several piercings on his face. Michelle stared at him like she'd never seen anyone quite like him before.

"Jada. Austin. Long time no see," Reece said, seeing as no one else bothered to respond. Jada gave him a disinterested cursory look.

"Since you're all here on business, why don't we cut to it?" She asked.