"I know but I guess I'm allowed to use my brain after office hours", it was more like a question but he understood

Not that he wanted to, but appreciated her mentally. Looking back at the coffee mug, he brought it closer to his lips and took a sip from it.

Delicious!

"But what are you doing up so late?", he asked, fixing his gaze on her.

"Grabbing myself some coffee", she pursed her lips together when she realized how sassy that must have sounded. "I mean... you were staying so I stayed... in case you require anything", she fumbled.

He eyed her head to toe, not believing her one bit.

"You're not getting any overtime or promotion for this, if I must clear", he stated.

Briana was taken aback by the sudden statement. That was the least of her motives. Hell, she didn't even have those things in her mind.

"Ohh.. I-I never said that!", she was taken aback. "Never mind", she mumbled an apology and left his cabin. She strode to her seat and sat there deflated. She was disappointed in him. She's been working for him for 4 years and he doesn't even know her that much. Not everything is done out of expectations.

Some are just. Sweet gestures.

However, for Jake it was different. He was not used to sweet gestures. In 29 years of his life, he knew that everyone wanted something in return of their gestures. It was just that in this case, he didn't know that she just wanted to see him happy.

~~~

After 2 hours of strenuous work, he finally decided to head home. Jake had no drivers or anything so he didn't have to worry about calling anyone to drive him home. He closed the files, grabbed his blazer and walked out of his cabin.

He walked to the elevator, but stopped abruptly when he saw someone sitting on their seat with head rested on the desk

He walked to the elevator, but stopped abruptly when he saw someone sitting on their seat with head rested on the desk. He walked up to the person, only to find Briana sleeping there peacefully.

He looked at her and a smile made its way to his face. He knew that she was dumb.. but stupid? He just realized that. Who stays in the office for such long hours, knowing that they're getting nothing in return.

He carefully leaned over the desk, only to find her snoring slightly. A chuckle escaped his lips and he slapped his hand over his mouth to cover his chuckle. To his astonishment, she didn't even flinch!

Heavy sleeper, ahan!

He gently tapped on the desk to wake her up but she didn't move. He tapped again, this time a little harder than before.

In vain!

This time, he tapped over her head.

Suddenly, she jolted up, looking all haphazard and scared, "I'm alive!", she shrieked.

"I can see that!", Jake backed away while he held his blazer on his shoulder.

"What?... Oh! I mean I'm sorry!", she mumbled as she tried to fix herself.

"You should have gone if you were that tired", he said.

"Ya I should have...", she fumbled. But how could she, knowing that the person she's had fallen in love with, had too much on his plate. She had to be there for him to check up on him.

Jake shook his head at her fazed self and turned around to leave. He pressed the elevator button and it dinged open. Briana grabbed her things and walked up to the elevator, waiting for the other one to arrive as no one was allowed to use Jake's.

Jake was about to press the ground floor but stopped when he noticed Briana not following him inside. Instead, she was standing on the different side of the elevator.

"Hey? Hurry up?", he said as he held the elevator for her.

"I'm waiting for it. Might take a few minutes", she said.

"Are you mad? Come over!! It's just two of us anyway!", he said.

"But you don't allow-"

"Oh shut up and hurry! I don't have all day", he said getting impatient.

"As if it's still day", she mumbled.

"What?", he asked.

"N-nothing!", she said and hurried into his elevator.

*****