001.

ACT ONE ; CHAPTER ONE✎

✎ . . . idiot in a tank

𝐋𝐔𝐂𝐈 𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐎𝐒𝐀 forbade camila to go outside the camp, she despised the thought of her sister roaming around the streets of a city filled with the undead. the geeks. even though she knew camila could handle herself, she didn't want her sister in any kind of danger.

however, despite luci's 'foolish' rule, it wasn't her decision to make. camila left camp to go on runs with glenn quite often. luci would always be waiting angrily for the younger girl to get back but did that stop her? hell no. besides, glenn and camila together made a great team, even before the apocalypse the two did everything and anything together. they met in seventh grade and believe it or not, they've been friends ever since. they graduated high-school together and after that, bought an apartment together. some thought the two were dating, especially their families. but they were strictly friends, except for that one awkward time in tenth grade but we won't talk about that.

camila enjoyed the free feeling of being in the big city, though it was overrun by the dead ones, she still lay in her tent each night wondering the next time she'd be able to go. and luckily, that was today. the only thing different about today was that it was the first time she and glenn had taken a group of people bigger than themselves.

"hey glenn, you know how we always said we would never get those cringy bff necklaces?" camila abruptly asked, "yes, why?" glenn chuckled lightly, seeing what camila was looking at in the jewelry section. "look. at. this." she held in her laugh, holding up a pair of necklaces she'd found on a rack, already engraved with 'g' and 'c'.

one necklace that had glenn's initial on half of a heart and the other had camila's initial with the other half of the heart and when they got close together, they stuck together like magnets, making the heart whole. "this is the best thing i've ever found—here you can have my initial and i'll have yours!" glenn went along with it, putting the necklace around his neck while camila was buzzing with happiness at the coincidence.

that happiness quickly died down when the pair heard shots fire off in the distance, startling them both as they gave each other a look of fear. glenn peeked out the large window, checking for geeks. when he saw it was clear they went outside, seeing a man slide under the big tank that stood in the middle of the street, dozens of geeks following under while some went to the now dead horse limp on the ground.

glenn snatched the walkie-talkie out of his back pocket, "hey asshole, you cozy in there?" he spoke into the walkie and after a moment of static there was an answer. "hello... h—hello?" the sheriff replied, breathing heavily. his voice hoarse, he sounded scared. "are we really going to help this idiot in a tank?" camila scoffed. "where are you two? outside? can—can you see me right now?" the man asked suspiciously. camila grabbed the walkie from glenn's grasp, "yeah idiot we're standing outside. you're surrounded, good luck getting out." glenn rolled his eyes and yanked the walkie back out of camila's hands, "listen—whoever you are—i don't mind telling you, i'm a little concerned right now. got any advice for me?" he said, ignoring camila's remarks. "seriously glenn? we don't owe him a favor. that idiot got himself into this mess, let him get himself out of it. we shouldn't be risking our lives for a lost cause."